Wallpapering over a small step

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the process of decorating and removed some old paper from a chimney breast. The paper came off fine but it seems like underneath the wall has been pained with the dreaded one coat. On most of the wall, the one coat has peeled off. I've scraped and sanded off any loose bits but there are still several patches on the wall. As a result of this, I have a very small, but noticeable when you rub your hand over it, step between wall and patches of one coat paint.

I plan on papering this wall but not sure if this small step will show though? I can't see it being noticeable once papered but don't want to waste my time if its a no-go.

If it will, is there anything I can do (apart from getting it skimmed)?

Sponsored Links
Depends how deep the step is, rub down edges,

then fill with basic filler, should work or a fine surface filler

I have rubbed down the edges but as its a thick paint, it either comes off, or stays as is. Problem with filler is that as there is so many patches, it would be a right old job to do it all.

The step is small, literally just a coat of paint albeit it thick.

It would also depend on quality of wallpaper, a Thick embossed paper might not show what the undersurface was like, but a vinyl would stretch and show,

Fill, rub down and line with a thick lining paper then hang wallpaper.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back