Wallpapering over painted walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it as simple as just putting the wallpaper on or does the walls being painted cause a problem?

I'm not convinced we'll be able to have our walls painted without trouble - blotches etc etc, so I've a funny feeling we're going to have to wallpaper.

The idea was to mist coat & then give it 1 or 2 coats at 70/30 of Dulux Super Matt to see what the walls look like. If they look fine then go ahead & paint, if they look as bad as they did on the first coat then wallpaper.

But i read a piece today that suggested this wouldn't work & you shouldn't paper direct on to painted walls.

However as my wife pointed out to me, the walls in the diner were painted first & papered on & knowing how the previous owner has operated other things in the house - they probably didn't seal the plaster first either & the paper is stuck to the walls no problem

So before i go wasting a lot of time & money i thought i'd come here & at least ask about it first. I'd rather take a few 'if you have to ask then get someone else' replies than jump in with both feet not asking any questions & regret it later :)

Sponsored Links
Just listen to your wife - wallpapering be fine. If the walls are clean and good nick, go for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back