Wallpapering - Seams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please go easy on me :)

I decorated my sister in-laws lounge with some really horrible paper. It is basically cream with a flower print up the middle. The problem I found is that because the colour of the edges is so light, you can clearly see the line / seam on each drop. She loves it and everyone comments on how nice it looks but when I am round visiting, all I can do is look at it wanting to pull it down :evil:

I don’t expect to be able to do anything about it now but I wondered if anyone could give me some secret top tips or reveal some hidden knowledge regarding seams. Is it possible to make them invisible the next time I hang some paper. I'm not a professional decorator but just want to try and better my next project .

Thanks for your time

Adam

Sponsored Links
the only advice i can offer is to butt the edges tight and use a seam roller. wipe off any excess paste from the paper at each joint. soak the paper for the recommended time stated on the back of the label.

also practice makes perfect. the more you do the better you'll get at it.

There are several tricks that people use with bad seams on paper, some better than others. The darker papers are the worst as a lot of them have white edges, which, if the paper shrinks too much can be seen. You can buy coloured crayons to colour the edge of the roll before you unroll it. You can use coloured emulsion on the wall where ever the joins meet. I have used coloured felt pens on seams that have opened up with some sucess. Others will have other tips i'm sure.

I agree with what elrobbo82 says in the fact that, keep the joints as tight as you can without ovelapping them. I always use a seam roller on all paper edges. Use a good quality paste, maybe even a ready mixed adhesive, sometimes you can put the two together to give added strength.

Sponsored Links
robbie uk gives a good tip with regards to similar coloured emulsion painted where the seems will be. you will have to measure out where the seems will be and apply the emulsion before papering.

Have to admit that I very rarely use a seam roller (I was taught to avoid them as much as possible because they can stretch and flatten the paper and squeeze too much paste out, causing the edges to lift) and never seam (see what I did there ;) ) to have any problems.

It could be that you are being harsh on yourself and looking for faults that nobody else would notice but, as has been mentioned, some papers do have edges that can be visible if the paper shrinks. Robbies tips are good for this problem but you may also need to consider that, if you have seams that were butted perfectly when hung and only appeared after drying, perhaps a lining paper should have been used. Some wallpaper instructions will state that lining paper should be used to combat shrinkage and, in these instances, should be followed strictly.
Another problem with edges of light paper can be contamination from dirty/dusty walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back