wallpapering straight onto plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've dry lined a room with plasterboard screwed to batten. I'll fill the screw holes plus make good all the joints. I don't want to skim the board, just wallpaper straight on if possible.

Can I wallpaper straight onto the plasterboard paper coat or do I prime with paste or PVA etc and let that dry before doing it. I want to avoid all the pasterboard paper covering coming off as far as I can if ever I need to repaper. The paper used is a cheapo thick embossed vinyl. The room is a garage conversion into an office so a cheap and cheerful job is required, or rather I'm just tight as my wife would say :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
seal the boards with pva 5-1 let it dry and you should be able to strip it off if you need to.

excellent - thanks Jb. Just out of interest, when houses are built with the dry lining method and NOT skimmed (like ours thats 10 years old) do the builders seal the plasterboard before papering cos its virtually impossible to get old paper off these walls without the plaster coming away from the boards so I rather think not!

Definately prime the plasterboard first. Ive just spent almost 2 weeks trying to get wallpaper off bare plasterboard and it was a nightmare. The next person to decorate the room will thank you for it!!!

Sponsored Links
You can also buy a plaster board primer from gyproc or lafarge to aid stripping paper...but it might only come in large tubs.....which may also answer your question about buiders sealing the wall.....normally this is done by the guys who tape and caulk the joints.

Not anting to contradict anyone here....buy I would have thought pva will aid adhesion...and make the paper more difficult to strip?...I use it quite a lot on very porous walls with the intention of making sure the paper stays on...not to allow it to be stripepd easier...having said that.....never done it straight onto plasterboard...perhaps it behaves different.

it depends on how long you leave the pva to go off, and how much you dilute it. you can buy expensive 5ltr tub of pva and a cheap 5ltr pva the difference is one is watered down more. when reskimming a wall the pva in the first coat is 5-1 that is to seal the wall. The second coat is mixed 3 or 2-1 and the finish is applied when its tacky or wallpaper this is so it sticks.

thanks for the advice all - just put a coat on tonight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back