Wallpapering to a flat edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am currently in the process of wallpapering my landing, passageway and stairway. Whilst I'm not brilliant I'm competent(ish) but I'm about to wallpaper the wall above the top of my stairs on the landing.

Now normally when you wallpaper you’re either wallpapering to the skirting or the ceiling (ie an edge of some description) that you cut into. But above the stairs the wall just stops and slopes downwards, becoming the ceiling to the stairs (if you see what I mean).

I’m worried that cutting across is going to look rubbish (especially when viewed looking up at it); especially since the paper is slightly thick and the line isn’t perfectly straight. Is there a tip to making it look good? Should I cut when the paper is still wet or would I get better results trimming when dry? Would carefully tearing the paper be better, rather than cutting, as the edge would then be more feathery? Although my heart freezes thinking about risking tearing paper freehand!

I’ll have the same problem in the passageway, as there’s a small section of wall above the front door with a lower ceiling than the rest of the passageway which will also need papered down to. And for added difficulty that is arched :confused:

Sponsored Links
A photo of the areas would help in advising, if possible.

I'm at work all day, but I'll try and upload a photograph tonight. The areas in question aren't very big though ... the staircase is about 75cm(?) wide so the wall above that I'm wallpapering would only need to be cut across about 75cm, and the arch above the front door is similarly only about 100-150 cm wide and the arch isn't that pronounced.

The pics will help sound like you have an odd situation as normally the ceiling from the stairs runs straight into the main ceiling, sounds like yours has a slight vertical section perhaps, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words :D

Sponsored Links

This is the arch I was talking about. The one wall on my landing is the same depth, but not as wide ... and flat, not curved, but the same principle - wallpapering to a flat edge rather than a ceiling or skirting.

I'm guessing if I don't get my cutting spot on it's going to look awful, and also since it's not curving round from below you would look up and see where the paper ends. Could I use a thin line of filler to run across to neaten it if I go a bit off, and to also minimize the 'cut wallpaper' look?

I'm not a pro decorator but that's what I would do. A really light bead of decorators caulk along the edge of the paper and paint the arch ceiling up to that line. As you say, it would just feather the cut edge nicely I think.

Shug

I would paper down to the edge leaving an overlap of about an inch make sure the edge is well pressed down perhaps with a seam roller, (if textured paper use a soft one) wait till the next day at least till it is fully dry.
Then trim off to the edge following the curve with a VERY sharp knife flat side of the knife against the underside, the snap off type are good don't be stingy change the blade for each cut. Then if any rough edges a very fine paper along the edge pushing the abrasive up against the underside. Then treat the underneath as ceiling and paint it white.

Thank you footprints and Shug711.

Do you leave the paper to dry so you're least likely to get snagging when cutting the paper? I'll give it a go but the thought of waiting until the paper is dry before cutting (when it's too late to pull it off and try again if you mess up) is a bit scary.

But then my heart's always in my mouth everytime I double cut anyway so this is just a new wallpapering 'adventure' to get stressed about :confused:

Have just worked out that in order to finish the job I'll need to order an extra roll of wallpaper as I'm going to be short by a measly 50cm - I could scream, lol.

I would paper down to the edge leaving an overlap of about an inch make sure the edge is well pressed down perhaps with a seam roller, (if textured paper use a soft one) wait till the next day at least till it is fully dry.
Then trim off to the edge following the curve with a VERY sharp knife flat side of the knife against the underside, the snap off type are good don't be stingy change the blade for each cut. Then if any rough edges a very fine paper along the edge pushing the abrasive up against the underside. Then treat the underneath as ceiling and paint it white.

whssign.gif

Yes wait till dry so it's nice and stiff to stop tearing as you cut ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back