wallstar boiler keeps locking out & getting air in the p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we are having terrible problems with this boiler, for years it has locked out maybe once or twice a year & we have to press the reset button.

in july it locked out & wouldnt reset so we got a local boiler man out to service it. there was quite alot of air in the pipe maybe 5 inches so he pulled that out, he has since put 5 compression joints in, a new fire valve, 4uf capacitor to the fan motor, a new oil filter at the oil tank in the existing isolation valve, a new solenoid, a new fuel pump & last week he replaced the reset button mother board.....& this morning it locked out again, again lots of air in the pipe.....he has pressure tested it so says there is no leaks.

please has anyone got any ideas as to what the problem is with our boiler.

thank you

sarah

Sponsored Links
sarah it might help if you could post some photos of the boiler and the pipework arrangement near it

Sponsored Links
Hi
That doesn't look like the standard HRM non-return valve to me?

When you say air in the line are you getting champagne type bubbles pulling through when burner running or just one static air bubble about 4-5 inches long in the clear flexible oil pipe?

hi

we were getting champagne type bubbles but our boiler man has solved that now, he last came last wednesday night & put the new reset board in & got the air bubble to about 1 inch, it has ran ok until today & the bubble is 1 static bubble about 5 inches.

im not sure what you mean about the non return valve?

sarah

Sounds like he's changed a lot on the burner. This can be the case with an intermittent fault on an HRM Wallstar.

Ask your boiler engineer if he installed the HRM non-return valve. This prevents oil dropping back down the oil supply line when boiler is not running which can cause lock- outs. Has he used flared or standard compression fittings?

Only components left that could cause lock-out are photocell, transformer and least likely motor.

thank you awoman, i have called him again so will ask him when he comes round.

thank you once again

sarah

Get someone else. The guy you have is a fool.

I could be wrong but it doesn't look like you have a none return valve
in the system. You can change the whole burner it isn't going to fix the problem.

Or failing that a tiger loop.

thank you for your reply, so if a non return valve is fitted will that stop our problem?

is the non return valve the silver thing with the black handle?

sarah

thank you for your reply, so if a non return valve is fitted will that stop our problem?

is the non return valve the silver thing with the black handle?

sarah

In this case it looks as if the non return valve has been replaced with
a hand valve. On the wallstars I've seen I don't remember seeing
a hand valve in the boiler.

Most Wallstars are fitted in the wall higher than the oil tank, (I have only worked on one that was installed at ground height) assuming yours is fitted 5ft approx up the wall, then a non return valve must be fitted, HRM supply a fire valve and NRV combined, however you may have a NRV fitted nearer the tank, although this is not in accordance with HRM's installation instructions!!
it is normal for there to be a slug of air in the clear flexi oil pipe and does not cause a problem - 0ne part I note that has not been changed is the ignition transformer (a weak link on the sterling burner!) ;)

thank you for your replies, yes the boiler is around 4 or 5 foot which is above the tank.

our boiler man hasnt been in touch yet so i havnt been able to ask him whether it was a non return valve that he has fitted.

i went to my mums today who has exactly the same boiler as me & has had no problems what so ever, i took a picture of hers inside to compare the valves & yes they are different...she has the same valve as what was taken out of ours...i will post a pic of hers.

sarah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back