Want to be a plumber???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Been considering a change of trade for a couple of years now and think plumbing/heating/gas fitting etc would float my boat. Currently a mechanical engineer/toolmaker. Applied to my local college last year and most courses on day release require you to be working in the trade in order to qualify for a placement. Now there's a scenario, how can i get a job in the plumbing trade with no experience in order to get on a plumbing course which requires you to have experience :confused:
Anyway, my question is, has anyone got any advice on the best way to get up and running. i'm 34 now so maybe I could be qualified by the time i'm............40ish :LOL:

Sponsored Links
T-maker said:
Anyway, my question is, has anyone got any advice on the best way to get up and running.
1. Buy tools and stock of a basic set of fittings.
2. Do lots of work on your own house.
3. Do work on friends' and relatives' houses.
4. Advertise.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: Well softus I thought I had most the tools already :eek:

I think what i'm trying to get at is, do firms or the self employed take on 34 year old trainees. Do yu get any gov funding for the previliage. Is it best to take an intensive, mega expensive short course to be at the top of the pile????

:LOL: Well softus I thought I had most the tools already :eek:
On tools, my advice to you is to start with a basic set and have money available to buy what you need as each job demands it. That list was just a spontaneous response, and wasn't prioritised.

For example, you certainly have to be able to cut, bend and solder copper tubing, to fit compression fittings, to install and clip pipework, and to carry out various minor repairs. Decide on what jobs you're going to take on and this will tell you what tools to start out with.

I think what i'm trying to get at is, do firms or the self employed take on 34 year old trainees.
Well, yes, but I'm not aware of anyone who will do find the organisation on your behalf.

Do yu get any gov funding for the previliage.
Sorry, I don't know.

Is it best to take an intensive, mega expensive short course to be at the top of the pile????
I doubt it. The most valuable attributes for a trainee are:

1. Unfailing punctuality and reliability.
2. Willingness to learn.
3. Motivation to do the job right.
4. Knowing when to shut up and listen (especially when in front of customers).

If you know a of theory up front, having gained it on a course, then it's an advantage, but it can make some people cocky. Courses are all very well, but you'll soon find that most of what you'll ever learn will be gained when actually doing the job.

And the time will come when you're faced with a seemingly unsolvable problem, and there'll be no tutor/trainer/mentor available, and you'll have to solve the problem on your own. And you'll solve it. And after that, you can call yourself a plumber. ;)

Softus Said:

For a plumber..I find that very worrying..

A painter who takes rads off as favours, and snaps the valves, yes.. :rolleyes: ..basic tools...

A plumber? :confused:

Zampa said:
For a plumber..I find that very worrying.
Why do you think I'm a plumber?

A painter who takes rads off as favours, and snaps the valves, yes.
How do you think a plumber drains a radiator without getting the floor wet, or empties a WC pan, or a drain gully, or clears a blockage in a shower trap, or removes a stubborn hot service air lock, or helps a customer clear up after a flood that happened before you got there, or works live on a pipe when the isolating valve has failed?

Thanks for all the advice and info Softus. Spoke to a few local plumbers today. They said they would prefer a mature :LOL: trainee as young uns can't be arsed to get out of bed :mad: , but apparently we are few and far between because we can't afford the drop in pay etc.

Anyway, thanks for that and watch this space. ;)

Why do you think I'm a plumber?

How do you think a plumber drains a radiator without getting the floor wet, or empties a WC pan, or a drain gully, or clears a blockage in a shower trap, or removes a stubborn hot service air lock, or helps a customer clear up after a flood that happened before you got there, or works live on a pipe when the isolating valve has failed?

Thats why..plus you seem well genned up on all things plumbing..

If your not what are you?

How do you think a plumber drains a radiator without getting the floor wet,

Being a humble painter I would have never even thought of that...its normally a paint tray stuffed under each end and hope for the best!

Actually I never never take a rad off for a customer...to risky, so much can go wrong.

Zampa said:
you seem well genned up on all things plumbing.
Genned up? Moi? :eek:

If your not what are you?
I'm a thportthman, I'm a peformaaah, I'm an artitht; a philanthropitht, a father, a huthband.
I'm a gentleman, and a bithnethman. I'm an enigma.

I need a hanky.

images

Good On You T maker
Been trying to do the same thing myself as I am coming out of the Army after 22 years, i 've tried to offer my labour for nothing and everthing, but nothing. I've had a little experience in the building trade but to no avail. However I attended a local corgi event and the Local CORGI Organisation Guy put me in contact witha local gas engineer who was willing to take me on. I start very soon on my ACS course, Thanks to CORGI. So just keep trying, someone out there will help you.
Good Luck
Ian

If you can, try and arrange with a company to work Saturdays for very little or nothing and convince them you are capable and hope for full time employment.

My day release college course ran alongside an Adults class, I'm pretty sure they all had to pay their own fees.

Thanks for the reply.

Been advised to do an introduction to plumbing and mechanical services course which is 2 evenings a week for 1 year. This is pretty good albiet probably a basic course but enables me to keep my current job and pay. Then i will move on to NVQ2 which lasts two years. I will need to be working in the industry or have something lined up for this course. Hopefully the introductory course will give me a better chance of been taken on as a trainee.

HAPPY DAYS. :)

Sponsored Links
Back