Want To Build a small garden office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post on the forum, so hello everyone. By this token you can probably guess how much expert/serious DIY I have undertaken….not very much.
My experience is limited to a bathroom, painting and decorating and a kitchen install.

However, I’d now consider something serious.

Child #2 is on the way, and as such I’m going to loose my office space. So, thinking outside the box (literally), I’ve decided to go with some sort of shed type office in the garden.

To cut a long story short, I found this;

http://www.officepod.co.uk/

Great product, but at £15k I just can’t justify it. It wouldn’t add any value to the house, and at £15k I might as well do a loft conversion which may add something.

So, I’ve decided to do a self build of something along the lines of the office pod.

This is going to take many months, and I plan to post pictures here along the way. My budget for the project is £5k.

But I need help. I have no experience in building, so I want to keep it as simple as possible. I don’t know what the possible pitfalls may be, and I don’t even know what materials are going to be the best ones to use.

My current plan is to employ the services of a very reputable designer I have had recommended in India. I can have the design done with all dimensions and 3d models for £200.

What I would like to do at this stage is to gauge opinion. Is this sort of thing doable, what should be my action plan, what specifications should I give the designer to keep it as simple as possible to build, what materials should I be aiming for?

Thanks for any advice anyone here can offer, which may save me significant expense and heartache in the future.

Sponsored Links
Do you want it to look pretty like the pod or are you happy with a more modest appearance with a more conventional glazing arrangement?

My advice would be to first off speak to building control and they can give you an idea on the permissions and regulations you need to take into account and also have a look into whether planning is necassary although unlikely unless your in a conservation area etc.

As for the construction it really depends on what you feel more comfortable with. Timber framed being easier if your keen to do it all and even getting your hands on some sips panels ready made up may be possible.

Glazing and fancy cladding will be the expensive bits so designing it around an off the shelf glazing solution might be best if possible. Whilst a little dull, in reality spending a lot of time investigating what you can get for good prices and then creating a design around these materials is the cheapest and easiest way to do something like this.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Check out some reclaimed patio doors or similar and build around them to help keep cost down.

If you have a local source (because transport costs) then you can probably get a 20' or 30' porta-cabin style building for £3k-5k depending on condition.

Because they are portable and temporary you may not need planning permission, or may get it more easily.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

In terms of planning, I'm on with that one. Don't think it is going to be an issue....but obviously going to have to be careful ith the height.

I'm currently thinking timber frame....around 3.5m x 2.5m I like the idea of finding some reclaimed materials and designing around them....espcecially for the glass and door.

However I don't really want it to look like a log cabin or shed. I want it to look like this;

pod-white.jpg

I don't want much do I!!! Can anyone suggest what materials could be used to get this kind of look?

[/img]

If your not keen on cladding the best way to get a modern looking building would probably be to build it with SIPS or blockwork if you prefer, and render it as its a much sharper more contemporary finish.

But as was said before the glass will be the expensive bit so design it around something you can get cheaply/ off the shelf.

The most imprtant thin to keep it contemorary and stylish is to get the details right. Especially around the junctions of different materials.

Imagine the pod you like but with square corners glazed on 2 sides and rendered on the other 2.

I've spoken with the designer and hes been keen to show me some of his work;

http://www.netgains.org/images/portfolios/Exploded-Assembly-268.jpg

http://www.netgains.org/images/portfolios/Drafting-FP-2-263.jpg

http://www.netgains.org/images/portfolios/Oasis-165.jpg

http://www.netgains.org/images/portfolios/Exterior-Pink-260.jpg

All looks very good. He is also happy to design something similar to the pod design in my previous post.

After speaking with him I think I am going to try to source some cheap second hand patio window frames which can be incorprated into the design, as well as a door. this will obviously redue costs considerably.

Whilst it is important that a building does not look like a bag of nails, it is however far more important that the space is useable.

Our recent winters have proved to be very cold indeed. This has resulted in poorly insulated, poorly ventilated spaces becoming mouldy, humid, cold and unusable. Equally, Summertime temp's can result in heavily glazed buildings just as unusable.

It is one thing having a romantic notion about "pods" etc and using reclaimed materials, it is another getting them to work.

You are likely to be spending many hours in this space, maybe even inviting clients in etc.

Be sure to get the thermal qualities of the building right first and build around that.

Hi!
Just seen your post, I figured I'd send you the link to the O-Pod site, we do office-pods at a fraction of the price, I'd think we could probably build you your garden office-pod at the spec. you need for about £5k....

www.o-pod.co.uk

I hope this helps :)
Gemma - O-Pod (Circular Garden Rooms)

Whatever you do DO NOT buy anything from Garden Living.

All the evidence points to them being a company run by liars, cheats and thieves, so you can have no guarantee that they won't lie to you, cheat you, or steal from you.

Steer well clear if you have any sense.

Hi all,
theres a brick on the front out our house, that is broken, in that the face of it has come off and the inside is exposed. Given that this is a victorian house its to be expected I guess...

I was wondering if anyone knows of a seal or something (preferable transparent) that I could paint onto it to protect it from the elements/water?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back