WARM EXTENSION LEAD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a De Longhi 1kw to 3kw convector heater.

I plugged it into a good quality 13A BS1363/A extension lead and tried it at 1KW, 2KW and 3KW.

Whilst the extension lead did not get HOT it did get warm.

Of course I would prefer to plug it into a mains socket but there is not one nearby.

1. Is it safe plugged in to the existing extension lead (13A BS1363/A) ?

2. What about using an RCD in the mains socket and then plugging the extension lead into that ?

3. Is there a more robust extension lead that someone might recommend ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it a coiled extension lead?
If so, did you uncoil the whole cable?

Other than that, yes, a 13A extension lead should be suitable for your requirements.

2. What about using an RCD in the mains socket and then plugging the extension lead into that ?

Thanks.

An RCD does not protect against excessive load so no point.
The fuse in the plug will limit the current to 13amp and the cable will be warm if it is thin. If the lead says 13A you'll be fine.

pvc cable is rated for a core temperature of up to 70C iirc, so for the outer sheath to be a bit warm is not too concerning.

If however the plug or socket are getting signficantly warmer than the cable then this may be a sign of a bad connection.

What size cable is your extention lead?

Sponsored Links
Normally extension leads are rated un-wound

So while it may be 13A un-wound, it might be 8A coiled up!

It should be printed on the label!!!

GaryMo, Plugwash and Nozspark its an uncoiled 2 metre extension lead with a 13a fused plug - and the convector is the only thing plugged in.

I thought it should be ok but thought I would ask because the uncoiled lead itself got warm and I wondered whether I should use thicker (like me !) cable.

Taylortwocities thanks for pointing out that an RCD doesn't have any use as far as load goes but I guess it cant hurt even though I have a Crabtree consumer unit with circuit breakers.

The only extensions I would use with a full load 3kw heater are those with thick white flex, such as 4-way trailing sockets (Though clearly only one socket can be used).

Also bear in mind, although the plug may say 13 amps on it, the actual cable, socket and fuse may be rated less.

Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

I wondered about making up my own lead.

Any suggestions as to the specification of a cable that would be man enough to cope with a 3kw draw, that I should ask for ?

1.25mm² or 1.5mm² 3 core flex.

Buy a decent (not cheap) socket for the end, and a decent plug (though not much variation in quality with these).

The plug should be a rubber, or non-brittle plastic one, and it should be of a design where you can put the back on after you've connected the cable to the terminals.

I've always been partial to the Permaplug product:

Use tough rubber sheathed cable. With care you can get 2.5mm² into one of those plugs, which will let you have a nice long lead if you need it.

How long is just the heater lead.
You mention the extension lead gets hot, does the actual heater lead also get hot.
Both, on its own as well as when used together with the extension lead.

and it should be of a design where you can put the back on after you've connected the cable to the terminals.

???
what kind of freaky plugs do you use then BAS that you have to put the back on and THEN wire it?

if it's a permanent addition ( or at least a yearly seasonal one ), and not going to be used all over the place, then make a decent extension for it..

some 2.5mm² blue arctic flex and a 16A ceeform plug and socket..
put the plug on the heater, the socket on one end of the extension and a regular 13A plug on the other end...

Duraplug 15A plugs need the back on first.

15ampplug.jpg

Real PITA.

BTW Duraplug 13As are much nicer than Permaplugs. :p

Colin C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back