Warped windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Long time viewer and user of information from this site which has helped me so many times. First post though.

We recently moved into a 6 year house. Since moving in a number of UPVC windows have been draughty and also let in noise.

Looking at the windows the issue seems to be on the hinge side. The window seals at the top and bottom near the hinges but bows out in the centre leaving a 2-3mm gap in the centre. The rest of the window appears to seal ok.

I've checked the seals and all are intact and in good condition. I have checked the hinges and none appear worn and again in good condition seating where they should. To rule out the hinges I also replaced one pair and the same gap existed.

I've put a steel rule on the frames and they are straight on the opening edge. On putting the rule on the window itself when open the hinge side of the window is not straight and bows by 2-3mm.

I've contacted the company who installed them and they have said they need adjusting and they're aren't warped. If they were warped they'd be covered by warranty (10 years) but adjustments aren't covered under warranty. They have based this on the information I have given them rather then an inspection.

Can anyone advise if these can be adjusted or if it is likely that they are warped? The problem windows are all in the front bedroom and front en suite. No other windows appear to let in a draft.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
2 things...

1 - If they are side openers how tall are the sashes, if top hung how wide are they, anything over about 800mm means the pvc is susceptible to bowing, very common complaint and one i see most weeks

2- What colour are the frames, white should reflect most of the heat but can still warp slightly, any of the wood effect i.e oak, mahogany and rosewood are renowned for warping due to being darker and absorbing even more heat

One cure is to fit closing wedges in the middle between the hinges, one on the frame and one on the sash, when closing the window the 2 wedges meet and slide together pulling the pvc together

A warped or bowed frame cannot be adjusted, hinges are fixed and rely on the point and cup in the corners and some adjustment to the lock side, nothing will adjust out a bow though

Hi and thanks for the reply.

The opening sash 355mm wide x 1020mm high. They are side opening so fairly tall but narrow. When I took the sash out to replace the hinges I was surprised with how light they were.

They are white in colour. They get the sun in the morning but then in the shade rest of the day. The ones at the back of the house which get the majority of the sun are fine.

I've not seen the wedges so will do a bit of searching for them.

The company are refusing to come out so I've said I'll pay but if they are bowed will they replace them. I'm yet to receive a reply....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back