WarWithTurkey

Sponsored Links
As above, Turkey should never have been part of NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization). It's really a middle-eastern country which is becoming more islamic, with a dismal human-rights record, and well-known to turn a blind eye to certain terrorist factions. Their standards in diplomacy are just not ours in the West.

The only reason that Turkey was admitted into NATO all those years ago was that it provided a strategic advanced area close to the borders of the USSR. This was very useful for the West for such things as reconnaissance, advanced air bases and, of course, as a 'buffer state'. It is my belief that such things are much less important to the West, now that other nations like Poland are providing similar 'services'.
Add to that the fact that Turkey's political and religious leanings are highly suspicious, I see no reason why NATO still accepts the country as a member. In fact, if Turkey were no longer a NATO member, I shouldn't be at all surprised if they became far less willing to shoot down Russian aircraft, even if they strayed over their border.

Say Turkey was pummelled by Russia, then of course we would all be supposed to pile in in defence of Turkey. As Russia's conventional weaponry would probably ultimately not prevail against NATO's, Russia would then feel cornered and more inclined to use the ultimate weapons. Just because we in the West keep nukes as a deterrent, it doesn't mean to say the Russians would see it that way if they had their backs against the wall.

That is exactly the predicted scenario (or actually, the direct opposite of that) during the cold war, when the USSR had several times as many divisions as the combined NATO armies. The NATO nations in possession of nuclear weapons, the US and the UK (not France, as they were not part of NATO at the time for some reason), held tactical nuclear weapons in reserve in the (very likely) case that the USSR's armies advanced into western Europe. The conventional NATO forces were known to be no match for the USSR's conventional forces and, were it not for our tactical nuclear weapons, they could - and probably would - easily have overrun the West. Our nuclear weapons, in my opinion, were the only reason that they didn't, and were kept for exactly that situation of the West 'having their backs against the wall'!
In addition to that, the USSR were perfectly aware that if we used our tactical nuclear weapons, they would use theirs as well with the predictable consequence that both sides would escalate to the use of strategic nuclear weapons. That, again, effectively kept the peace.

In the UK every town is in the drop zone.

Crap, a nuclear weapon costs millions, one dropped on Liverpool might just do a couple of hundred quids worth of damage. Liverpool is safe. :whistle:
Yes, and nuclear warheads targeted at 'certain other' British cities might do us all a favour!
(Yes, I'm joking: my mother-in-law lives in Bradford... Then again...)

Sponsored Links
In the UK every town is in the drop zone.

Crap, a nuclear weapon costs millions, one dropped on Liverpool might just do a couple of hundred quids worth of damage. Liverpool is safe. :whistle:
Yes, and nuclear warheads targeted at 'certain other' British cities might do us all a favour!
(Yes, I'm joking: my mother-in-law lives in Bradford... Then again...)

Ooooh that'll kick up a storm;)

Sponsored Links
Back