Was it ever acceptable to join multiple cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.....with a choc block covered in insulating tape?

I've just moved a light switch. The switched end was fine with someone having gone to the bother of sleeving the return feed from the switch.

In the roof space I found a insulation wrapped choc block.

I'm trying to work out whether my house has been rewired by cowboys or there have been a few tradesmen involved, some of whom were more competent than the others.

Ps it's a 1920's house that has been rewired at least twice.

Sponsored Links
It isn't, ever.

Although I did do it once where there wasn't even room to get a crimp in. Covered it with lots of plaster though.

It's never been acceptable. It's certainly not uncommon and whilst not good at all it's not that bad on the context of many electrical based bodges encountered on a dad to day basis.

it's not that bad on the context of many electrical based bodges encountered on a dad to day basis.

I helped my father-in-law put some downlights in his ceiling last year. They had the original 4-way spot light moved when they put the kitchen in (15+) years ago.

The method of moving the light was achieved by using a BT (as in British Telecom) terminal block.

Sponsored Links
When I got round to looking at the upstairs lighting in the loft, most of the lights were fed by DIY junction boxes, composed of BT terminal blocks. When I touched them, the plastic crumbled away, leaving only metal rings with screws in them.

I was really pleased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back