Washers? Inserts? What?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have been searching for something quite trivial, however, have not been able to find it anywhere; probably because I don't know what it's called!

It is basically a washer which goes behind a mirror, etc. when screwing to a wall to protect the glass, however, it is not just a flat round thing with a hole; it has a raised part which goes INTO the hole of the mirror to protect it from the screw. Hope someone knows what these are called and where I can get them.

Another question I have is, if I do manage to locate these washers, where do I stand with regards to sizing of washer to hole? Also, would a snug fit between washer and screw and also screw and washer be ok, or does mirror/glass have a tendency to expand and be susceptible to cracking?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you can cheat quite easilly here........

get some small diameter rubber tubing (like screenwash pipe, halfords or motorfactors do it for next to nothing) and cut a bit about an inch or so long.
Cut halfway down the length of it in 4 places, pull the 4 tabs back and you have what you're looking for

Sponsored Links
Thanks ^neo^. That's quite a useful cheat! Think I just might check into my local Halfords asap.

Thanks Symptoms, I've just searched for it on the web and the only result that came up with "flexable mirror washer" was your post. Haha. Do you know if it's called by any other name? I have looked on your suggested site, but couldn't find a search box to search for terms and don't know which category this comes under.

Thanks Bilioustrumpstaine, I've already tried B&Q, they don't have them. I can't tell by the images if they are what I am looking for.

Anyone know if I need to leave some space for the glass to move (does it expand/contract)?

Thanks.

Just did a check on line and my 3 local stores claim to have them in stock, could be worth a phone call :cool:

They consist of a washer a cup and a cap (from memory), sold specifically to stop you breaking mirrors on installation. The washer looks very similar to that shown in a previous post.

Symptoms, is the black washer visible after the screw cap has been fitted? I wish to use the disc style caps and not the domed caps, however, I have noticed that the disc appear to be very thin whereas the washer appears seems to be quite thick. Won't the sides of the black washer be clearly visible?

Are thicker disc type screw caps available anywhere?

Thanks.

Traveller - the rear face of caps are relieved/recessed slightly to accommodated the screwhead/insert. You can of course trim off any excess (if there is any 'cos you're using thin mirror glass) from the insert.

Hi Symptoms,

'You can of course trim off any excess....'

That sounds a good idea; thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back