Washing Machine in WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am planning to install a washing machine in a downstairs toilet. Room just has WC & basin, no shower or bath.

Washing machine will be around 500mm from basin.

Was planning to have an unswitched socket behind the machine supplied by a fused spur outside the room. Does this need to be built into a cupboard?

Ive seen lots of posts about washing machines in bathrooms but can't find anything about WCs

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No specific rules regarding toilets, just the generic "equipment must be suitable for it's environment" stuff. Avoid putting electrical stuff too close to the wasbasin, especially if you have one of those tiny ones that likes to spray water everywhere when the tap is turned on full.

Personally i'd try to keep the FCU inside the room if possible, less confusing that way.

Sponsored Links
Was planning to have an unswitched socket behind the machine supplied by a fused spur outside the room. Does this need to be built into a cupboard?
Is there a specific reason you are introducing a fused spur into the circuit - if the socket from which you are planning to spur from doesn't already
have a spur then there is no need to add a potential fault point into the extended circuit. Your washing machine/cable is already protected by its own
13Amp fuse.

It wasn't to add another fuse. I just thought that you were supposed to be able to switch it off without pulling the wash mach out, much like you would for a dishwasher in a kitchen.

Is there a specific reason you are introducing a fused spur into the circuit - if the socket from which you are planning to spur from doesn't already have a spur then there is no need to add a potential fault point into the extended circuit.
Indeed - and, come to that, exactly the same would be true even if the socking from which the OP was planning to spur did already 'have a spur' (originating from it) (although you'd probably then get some people arguing about two spurs with a common origin!). If the socket from which the OP planned to take his spur was itself 'already a spur' then, of course, neither a fused or unfused spur from it would be permissible.

Kind Regards, John

It wasn't to add another fuse. I just thought that you were supposed to be able to switch it off without pulling the wash mach out, much like you would for a dishwasher in a kitchen.
Contrary to what many seem to think, there is no such requirement in the regulations - and, even if there were (or if you would feel more comfortable with such a switch), then just a switch, rather than an FCU, would be adequate. As riveralt has said, introducing another fuse (in addition to the one in the plug) would, in itself, achieve nothing.

Kind Regards, John

It will be just a spur off the ring so looks like a simple switched socket will do the job.

Thanks for the advice.

It will be just a spur off the ring so looks like a simple switched socket will do the job.
That's fine, provided you take the spur from a socket which is actually part of the ring (are you certain that it is?). As I said, if the 'source socket' were itself on a spur, you would not be allowed to take a further spur from it.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back