Washing machine shorting rcd when plugged in and not in use!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

My washing machine is tripping the house RCD whenever it is plugged in! Not when I'm trying to use it, or during the cycle, but the moment it's connected to the wall socket, whether the door is open or closed. it suddenly started doing this last night.

Other appliances are working fine from the same socket, so that's not the problem... It must be the machine itself. Also, everything is hunky dory in the house when the washing machine isn't connected.

The machine was working fine before... No sign of any problems.

I've unplugged it for the moment and pulled it out into the middle of the kitchen as I read that moisture could cause problems... But there is no sign of any leak anywhere. Don't laugh at my girly efforts... But I changed the fuse on the plug and even got my hairdryer and blew some cool air in there to try to dry anything that might be wet, but it didn't do any good,

What might be causing this? I am asking because the machine is a cheap one (Beko) about five years old, and I don't want to end up paying more calling someone out for a repair than it would cost to buy a new machine... I know these things have a finite life span. On the other hand, it is January and I'm strapped for cash after Xmas... So if I can have it fixed cheaply, I would be very happy!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this..
Xxx

Sponsored Links
It could be moisture somewhere but in my experience it is likely to be the heater element.

£20-25 part plus labour.

Thank you so much for your reply! I might call someone out.

How long should I leave it to be sure it's not just moisture? X

That's difficult to say but if there are no leaks then I would not think this is the cause.

Did the machine stop running or did it start doing this when you turned it on one day?

Does the flex feel worn at the plug end?

You could try cutting a bit off the flex and rewiring the plug first.

Sponsored Links
The door release will have a neutral but is that only to feed the release?

What I mean is that the door release won't be DP will it?

IE, even with the door open, the heater neutral will still be connected?

It probably will, which is why a fault in it will trip an RCD even with the machine off and the door open.

I got rid of a cabinet in the kitchen yesterday to make room for a dishwasher. I dismantled it then washed down the wall it butted against, which is above the socket for the washing machine. I thought i was really careful not to get the socket or plugs wet!!

15 mins later, I was watching telly and the power suddenly went off to all downstairs sockets.... A bit of investigation revealed the RCD had tripped... A bit of wandering around plugging stuff in showed the washing machine to be the culprit. That was the first time it ever happened. Now every time the washer is plugged in the socket, it trips the RCD instantly.

I didn't use the washing machine at any point last night. But it worked fine the day before.

The wire is fine... No sign of wear or tear. :confused:

I guess if the heating neutral could trip the machine even if it's not on, it could be that... It trips instantaneously when plugged in, so that woud figure???

Try plugging something else in to this socket, see if the RCD trips?
Try appliance at different socket outlet via extension lead if possible, see if RCD trips?
This will narrow down to socket fault or appliance!

The washing machine trips the RCD whatever socket it's in.

Other appliances work fine in the socket that the washer is normally plugged into.

Uses it has to be the machine that's kaput!

Check plug and flex for any damage or water ingress to plug, if looks sound, other than water getting in to the appliance terminals.
Then it's an appliance fault, could be down to the heating element, if the RCD trips but not the MCB. Which EFLI has already mentioned, depending on model type £10-£25. The element is normally located under the drum, but requires top and front panels to be removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back