Washing machine waste - size issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to plumb in a washing machine however because of the kitchen layout we have I am restricted for space.

The installation instructions for the washing machine indicate that the flexible hose (part of the washing machine) should not be extended and must be min 600mm above foor level.

The washing machine hose will reach a space where I can fit an 32mm upstand(?) and 32mm trap and from the trap run (about 1 metre of) 40mm waste pipe to connect to the existing 110mm soil pipe.

Searching through the forums I can see that 40mm is the recommended size for a washing machine waste but given the hose is only about 25mm diameter will 32mm be too small?

Thanks

Fraser

Sponsored Links
The term you were looking for is "standpipe" :D

You'll find most standpipes are 40mm throughout and this would be recommended over a 32mm waste.

The reason as I understand it is that the waste is pumped out of the washing machine under quite a pressure, hence it doesn't need a huge pipe. When it reaches your standpipe and trap however, the flow will be comparatively limited as you're relying basically on gravity to drive away the water and therefore a much larger pipe is needed to prevent water backing up and out of the top of the standpipe.

I'd definitely stick with 40mm. You can pick up standpipes fairly cheaply from the likes of Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18640/Plumbing/Wastes-and-Traps/Washing-Machine-Trap-40mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back