Washing Machine Zanussi ZWF1421W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some help before this machine gets condemned.

Machine had stopped spinning, I though the usual and so cleaned out the filter but there was very little in it. Using online guide I get an error code of E23 which is a drain issue.

To check I got the code from two flashes of the Start/Pause and End lights together and then three flashes of the End light on its own, am I reading that right?

I have gone through all suggested checks, I can get the machine to fill and empty, so pump/drain doesn't appear to be the problem but it wont spin.

Any suggestions, it seems the only solution is a new control board and it's really not worth the expense.

Sponsored Links
Yes you are reading the code correctly, but the strange thing is that should mean the drain pump or the triac are faulty which appears not to be the case with yours. What does it do if you select the drain only programme & the spin only program?

Thanks for the response. I hadn't tried the drain only program but just run that and it completed successfully with end light on as normal. Just selected the spin program which I was using before and whilst it drains at the start it doesn't start to spin.

I should add for completeness that the belt is attached to the motor and drum!

So do you get the same error lights flashing when you try spin or none at all. Have you checked the motor brushes are OK ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, no error code was not displaying when trying to run only through diagnosis. Just sits there with washing light lit.

I had fixated on drain issues because of error code. I'll be honest I'm not that sure what I'm looking at in the motor to check the brushes but I'll have a look

Had a look, not sure if checking will involve some disassembly? Cant see obvious brushes, I've only ever replaced them on a drill motor before. Attached picture of motor if this helps.

Attachments

• WP_20170122_12_26_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170122_12_26_41_Pro.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 429
Ok, so I've managed to get a look at them. They do look worn but I don't know enough to know if that would be causing the problem. I tried to take one off however the hex bolt appears to be a 5.5mm as neither a 5mm or 6mm will budge it. So I've tried to take a picture as best I can.

They look worn but both appear to still be making good contact.

Attachments

• Brushes.jpg
    Brushes.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 358
They need to be a good length in order for the spring to ensure good contact with the commutator. You really need to get them off & replace them if they are only 10 to 12mm left.

Just to say thanks once again, new brushes fitted and machine is up and running. I've done a quick test on spin cycle and the Mrs' has just put a full load in.

Here's the culprits, I must admit the one on the right was the first one off and thought it didn't look to back and was beginning to worry that this would not solve my problem. However the wear it much more obvious on the other one.

Attachments

• Brushes (2).jpg
    Brushes (2).jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 465

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back