Wasps

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by caffreys, 4 Jul 2011.

1. caffreys

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've a friend with a wasp problem, the wasps are flying in and out between a length of roof tile just above the eaves (about a 4ft section)
    I've been in the loft and only found 2 dead wasps and no sign of a nest - even though there's visible light between the felt and tiles.
    Any ideas how to get rid? (They are getting into the house)
    Funnily enough she got the council pest control out, and they couldn't do anything about it because of health and safety issues.... apparently because they aren't allowed to use ladders :eek: anaphylactic shock from stings I guess is ok tho ... :p

2. PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If there is no wasps nest there is no need for pest control, you need to identify if there is a nest or you can not treat.
    By sounds of it there could be one, if there is a lot of wasp activity.
    But you need to find it. As it's the nest that is best treated.
    The spray that is used is called "Ficam D"
    The nest can normally be found within a foot of the place they are entering the roof space from.
    This time of year they are still building and the nest could be something like the size of a tennis ball, a woody/straw coloured.
    If you cannot find the nest, then the best way to get rid of them, is to use a wasp trap pack or electronic flying wasp killers.

3. caffreys

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks for the tips,
    She's came up with the idea of using bags of ant powder and throwing them on the roof in the general vacinity, in the hope the wasps will take it to the nest - worth a "shot" i guess. Else i'll go crawling about more in the loft - can't be in the cavity at least as its a nofines house.

4. PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. wotan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Stop being a whimp, they are gods creatures and deserve to live how they please, they will not do you any harm. ;)

Wotan

6. squeaky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lets hope they fly into your beer and not mine. :D

7. joinerjohn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like the wasps nest is in between the tiles and the underfelt. Shouldn't bee too big at this time of the year.
    A few years ago, I was in a loft space and there was one about the size of a 14" portable TV. Last thing I did before leaving was to heave a piece of 3"x4" at it (from the safety of the loft hatch). Last sight I saw was a cloud of angry wasps, just before I shut the hatch rather quickly. ;) ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

8. PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. joinerjohn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Too right PBD, I hate wasps with a passion, there's no more useless insect on this planet IMHO... ;) ;) ;) ;)

10. caffreys

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    At the rate they were going in and out, I expected to see some nightmare inducing sized nest in the loft !
    For now she's put some insect screen velcroed to the windows they've been coming in (the bathroom - not my idea of fun having wasps taking a shower with you :LOL: )

11. gregers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    when i used to work in the preservation industry,the ammount of ,BLOODY HUGE, nests i found in lofts was really scary.

i too think there a pointless insect,hated with a passion,especially after being stung a few times by the little ,bars**rds.

i know they have there purpose in the greater scheme of things,but why do they annoy you whereever you go?.

12. Alarm

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Jumped on a nest once ( no I never knew it was there). Intresting chase, they fly faster than I can run!!!

Glass of Blackcurrent and Pernod near the entry point kills off loads, trust me :D
    Blackcurrent attracts them Pernod kills them.

13. gregers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Jumped on a nest once ( no I never knew it was there). Intresting chase, they fly faster than I can run!!!

:eek: :LOL:

i got stuck in an attic with 4 queen wasps flying round like no bodys bussiness,huge things there were.attracted by my lights and the light from the trap hatch,1 ended up flying into the bathroom,which i then sprayed with wasp insect killer and shut the door,finished the job approx 5 hrs later and the thing was still alive,well it was until i squashed it.

14. RigidRaider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's lashing down with rain today so I'm off to the timber merchant tomorrow for wood for the ark. All God's creatures will be allowed aboard but not wasps or estate agents.

15. merlin50

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    when i was a young lad i shot a wasps nest with a 12 bore, they chased me across the fields, crawled up my trouser legs and stung me everywhere :eek: