Wasps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been packing the joists under some 'bouncy' floorboards and have found a wasp nest which is about 3 feet long. It being the off season now will the wasps return next year or is it now a dead nest?

Sponsored Links
What foxhole says is true, but, when they start looking for nest sites next year any of them may find their way back in. So, you also need to find out how they got in and block it up.

they don't like nesting near an old nest as nests build up an infestation of parasites.

Leave the old nest there and it will repel wasps.

This is true!

Sponsored Links
I can only comment from my own experience which was that wasps colonised the old nest from the previous year. Cleared it out after they had finished with it, sealed up the hole they had come in through and problems solved.

they don't like nesting near an old nest as nests build up an infestation of parasites.

Leave the old nest there and it will repel wasps.

This is true!

This isn't true.

We have 2 old big wasps nests within 2 feet of each other in our barn.

They they were both active at the same time.

The pest controller who came out mentioned it too me and said a national newspaper were even selling dummy nests, saying they will repel the wasps.

He said if he had his camera, he would take a picture and send it to them...!

If you are in any doubt, look in the yellow pages for pest controllers and ring one or two to see what they say.

Either way I would most definately fill in any holes which the wasps could use to get in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back