Waste from Water softener - fitting help

I wonder what WRAS would think of that advice!

What is the name of the manufacturer?

Sponsored Links
doesn't matter what the manufacturer says connecting it straight to a drain poses a catergory 5 fluid risk (potential contamination of the mains water supply) under uk water regulations.

tee in a hepvo trap to the waste and fix the watersoftner discharge so it is 20mm above the inlet.

I normally use a munsen ring and backplate attached with some studding to fix the pipe above the waste

qoute
"The drain is connected to the drainage system which is a backflow risk in fluid category 5. Clearly the prevention of possible backflow of sewage into the water supply is of paramount importance. The requirement for this connection is therefore an air gap which must satisfy the Regulator’s Specification"

Fluid Category 5

Fluid which represents a serious health hazard because of the concentration of pathogenic organisms, radioactive or very toxic substances, including any fluid which contains –

faecal material or other human waste:

butchery or other animal waste: or

pathogens from any other source.

Sponsored Links
When connecting to a drain the regulation air gap is required to prevent backflow.

that sentence is from the manual of your appliance.

At least they got the manual right!

Even if their verbal advice was not!

Tony

A HepVo trap with an appliance spout on top would be better than nothing if you can't get it with a proper air gap but still incorrect (HepVo traps are very reliable though).

Don't put it in with just a spout though.

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me with a little fitting help.
I.

Except I can't work out how to connect the waste pipe. Not sure if all water softeners are like this but the tubing is about 12mm (OD) thick (about 9mm ID).

Thanks
Well the one I fitted @ my last house had that thick walled hose so I guess it's so it can't go on a w/m connector on a trap . Yes I used a standpipe and trap:notworthy:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back