Waste pipe sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's hoping the experts can help!

In fitting one of those fancy chrome bottle trap wastes to a new bathroom basin all went well until I tried to connect the metal pipe from the bottle trap to the 40mm plastic waste. The 40 - 32 reducer (compression-type) I expected to fit, doesn't. The metal pipe from the trap is 30mm not 32 mm, so it will not fit into the reducer ar all - far too sloppy on the outside diameter and the plastic shoulder/guide on the inside of the reducer is too big for the inside dia of the metal pipe to slide over it!

The trap, etc came as part of a basin set from Next some time ago, if that helps.

Is there such a thing as a 40 - 30 reducer & where can I get one?

Sponsored Links
When i fitted chrome wastes first it took me a while to realise they only accept 32mm push fit.....not ABS (solvent weld)......doesn't help here but just shows how well our european standardisation is going lol......30mm?? never heard of it. You may be able to buy a uk? chrome trap and fit 32 mm to it tho.....costs around 20 quid......

The chrome pipe will only fit with 32mm compression fittings (not pushfit or solvent). Try a macalpine fitting. When you do the compression fitting up, it may feel a bit loose but once tightened it does seal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for comments guys.

Unfortunately, the McAlpine compression reducer I have does not fit at all. The diameter of the waste (at 30mm) is exactly the same dia as the guide/shoulder inside the reducer which would normally slide into a 32mm pipe being connected, so this waste pipe won't even go into the reducer!

What is so bloody infuriating too, is that the whole set-up (basin, stand and chrome bottle trap assembly) came from Next some time ago (therefore can't take it back), so the problems I now have others who bought the same stuff must also have had. I can't even use a standard chrome bottle trap because of the peculiar stand design, which is presumably why the 'special' trap was part of the set.

No wonder this set is no longer in the Next catalogue!

Sounds like Italian crap

Not wishing to malign the Italians but ... I had some italian 'universal plumbing kits' some time back that were 30mm. It could be a country standard (using the term loosely)

They used to be sold by DIY shops and consisted of metallic grey parts for under sink plumbing, with brass tube (which I assume connected to some other standard.

The answer seemed to be to get a 'universal push fit adaptor' from someone like B&Q or Wikes. Have a look at -

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Compression-Universal-Pipe-Connector/invt/431902

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back