Water based eggshell over oil based eggshell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm a bit concerned that I recently painted a dark coloured water based eggshell paint (it's the new range Valspar, at B&Q) directly over the existing brilliant white Dulux oil based paint I originally painted, but didn't key the surface. I've done a couple of coats and it scuffs/scratches off fairly easily. I thought that being eggshell, not gloss, it'd not need a key.

Will this harden in time as it says a week before fully cured (been 3 days), or is there anything I can do to remedy it (apart from stripping it!!) I just get the feeling with water based wood paint that it's never as strong as good old oil based. Is there a transparent acrylic sealer I can paint over it to give it more strength, or at worst, could I get the same dark colour mixed from Dulux oil based and paint that over the top or sill it still chip? Really don't want to have to strip it all :(

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
You could always sand it thoroughly - if it's coming off as easily as you say then it'll sand off fast. Then you've a key for the next coat! Should always sand before painting woodwork, no matter what paints you're using, sorry! :)
Am not a fan of water based wood paint, but then I've heard some of it has improved vastly since I used it 4 years ago. Mine came off easily too.

When going from oil based to water based, you need, as said to key the woodwork thoroughly. Some of the later water based gloss and satin paints like Armstead and Bedec Aqua advanced are very good and will go over the prepped surface quite well. Better to rub down and give a coat of Zinsser Coverstain, then go over with your water based finish. It wont come off then.
You tend to find that with water based you need extra coats to get a decent finish, but as it dries so quick you can get up to 3 coats on in a day quite easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back