Water based undercoat for WBP ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks

Looking for some recommendations for a water based under coat for WBP ply. For those who don't know WBP is exterior grade ply.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You could use Johnstone's Aqua water based undercoat. Although not labelled as a primer/undercoat, it is actually suitable as a primer for interior and exterior wood, but an appropriate primer is required for metals. The problem with water based systems used outside is that they don't really have proven longevity. Of the few decent ones around, the Aqua system is one of the best. However, with plywood (and any other hardwoods), you may get resinous bleed through any water based system unless it is locked in with a suitable stain blocking primer/knotting solution.

EDIT:
I've used the Aqua system on a few hardwood outbuilding doors, which seem to be holding up well, but I did use a separate primer first.

You could use Johnstone's Aqua water based undercoat. Although not labelled as a primer/undercoat, it is actually suitable as a primer for interior and exterior wood, but an appropriate primer is required for metals. The problem with water based systems used outside is that they don't really have proven longevity. Of the few decent ones around, the Aqua system is one of the best. However, with plywood (and any other hardwoods), you may get resinous bleed through any water based system unless it is locked in with a suitable stain blocking primer/knotting solution.

EDIT:
I've used the Aqua system on a few hardwood outbuilding doors, which seem to be holding up well, but I did use a separate primer first.

Thanks for replying, longevity is a non issue as they will be used temporary outside. How many coats will it take to achieve a good base?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back