Water based undercoat over aluminium primer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently repainting my front door. I've stripped a the paint and have applied Dulux alumnium primer. I have then added a coat of Dulux primer & undercoat for multi surfaces. However when painting it on, it kind of seperated. Going over it a few times with the brush seemed to fix it. However now I'm worried it's going to start flaking over time. Do you think this will happen? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
aluminium primer is excellent stuff, and very durable. However it does dry fairly shiny. I think you would do better with an oil-based white undercoat, especially if it is outdoors. If you have used white acrylic primer undercoat, it is quite soft when new, easy to apply and dries fast with little smell, so fine indoors.

You can try wiping it gently with an extra-fine sandpaper to take the shine off.

Thanks both.

What is the reason for not doing it- wil it flake?

Do you have any ideas on what I should do now?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back