Water-based undercoat - rusty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a tin of Homebase water-based primer and undercoat, and the lid has gone rusty and left flakes in the paint. Any idea why it's gone rusty? It's not the first time it's happened, and I've always kept the tin in the house. Is there any way of straining the paint to get the flakes out?

Sponsored Links
It's probably not that uncommon , water evaporates from the paint , condenses on the lid and so on . I've had it happen too. As to straining the paint I wouldn't bother , simply use a spoon and scoop the flakes out of the tin.

I've managed to scoop some out to use for now but it is not just a couple of flakes, it's covered in them and I know as soon as I put the lid back on it I have to do the same each time I use it.

Can you buy a plastic replacement can from anywhere, I've found some small ones on the net but postage is always high. What kind of strainer would you use to remove the rust?

The lid has always been put back on tightly. I don't know why they bother with metal tins for water based paint.

Sponsored Links
Strain the paint with a cheap sacrificial plastic colander, then store the paint in one of those plastic containers that the supermarkets sell soup in......the lid seals time after time.
John :)

Don't know if you can buy a plastic paint tin but keep a eye on builders skips , well any skip for that matter , and you'll soon find a tin. In the meantime if you have to keep the rusty metal tin put some cling film on first then the lid.
Or you could just bite the bullet and buy a new tin and save all the faff and hassel.

Good idea Burnerman I'll get a sieve, I've got nearly 2 and a half litres of the stuff though so that would be a lot of soup!!!

Recommended.....Marks and Sparks chicken and rice, tomato and basil varieties. Delicious! :p 600 ml tubs.
John :)

Store the tin up side down in future, then there is no air between inside of lid and paint level.

As an add on, Dulux tins are poo. If I need to store Dulux I use a cling film membrane between tin and lid and then seal the lid further with some masking tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back