Water bubble in the ceiling – what causes it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if you guys could help me to unravel a mystery with water bubble appearing in my neighbour’s flat who lives directly below me.

Few days ago, the housing association called to me urgently to say that the resident below me has water bubble in his kitchen ceiling and minute amount of water running down the wall near the boiler control panel, so safety risk.

The first plumber from the housing office who came in the morning told us there was ‘dampness and wet’ in the boiler pipes and quickly left to report back to the housing office.

The Second one arrived later in the evening and did more inspection and couldn’t find any leakage and mentioined to us, then he went down stairs flat and popped the water bubble, releasing a spoonful of water and no further leakage reported. He told me he would report back to the office, to say no leakage found in my flat.

The staff at the Housing office, now says, the 2nd plumber told them that he found a leakage and told us to remedy it! What a lie. I think the Housing Association are trying cover their tracks.

I own my flat as a leaseholder; they are considering charging me to remedy the situation to the resident below.

I don’t think that’s fair, as he couldn’t find the leak or leaking pipes.

So I am asking is there anything else that could contribute to a water bubble in the kitchen ceiling like, condensation or dampness. I know that resident does not like to open the kitchen window much, due to fear of cold.

Sponsored Links
water bubble in ceiling below means water is leaking from above.

Almost impossible for condensation to cause it.

Is it a concrete floor?

you might not be able to see it as it might be under vinyl or laminate. It might be running sideways from the leak to find a crack in the concrete. have a look under your capets, especially around radiators bathroom), and under the bath and sink

Sponsored Links
The staff at the Housing office, now says, the 2nd plumber told them that he found a leakage and told us to remedy it! What a lie. I think the Housing Association are trying cover their tracks.

I.
We never did that when we were Direct Labour @ a H.A. would`ve been in for a nice pension too - But a certain govt. scrapped DLO`s and went for competitive tendering in the private sector :LOL: . Have you got a shower over your bath - that`s a good source of leaks between the bath and wall :idea:

I.
We never did that when we were Direct Labour @ a H.A. would`ve been in for a nice pension too - But a certain govt. scrapped DLO`s and went for competitive tendering in the private sector :LOL: . Have you got a shower over your bath - that`s a good source of leaks between the bath and wall :idea:

yes, I do have a electric shower over the bath tub. I'll keep an eye on that.

Had a similar problem like this before and the culprit was a condense pipe leaking every time the boiler condensed....obviously when other engineers checked there was no sign of a leak as it only condensed when boiler was on and every 15 mins.

Had a similar problem like this before and the culprit was a condense pipe leaking every time the boiler condensed....obviously when other engineers checked there was no sign of a leak as it only condensed when boiler was on and every 15 mins.

That could be the reason for neighbour below my flat. They had a small bubble in the ceiling, in the kitchen with a condense combi-boiler near it. When the plumber popped the bubble only a teaspoon of water fell.

The plumber mentioned it could only come from resident above. But from what you're saying it could be due to their condense pipe leaking?

Is there a suspened ceiling in the flat below yours ?

If there is it could be the flue leaking from their own boiler if it runs in a void,
if not it might need a hole knocking in the ceiling to trace it.

Pretty easy job sorted loads of times. wouldnt worry just ask the HA to ask the first plumber exactly where the leak was he found.

Is there a suspened ceiling in the flat below yours ?

If there is it could be the flue leaking from their own boiler if it runs in a void,
if not it might need a hole knocking in the ceiling to trace it.

Pretty easy job sorted loads of times. wouldnt worry just ask the HA to ask the first plumber exactly where the leak was he found.

Thanks for the reply.

They don't have suspended ceiling. The first plumber did not find the leak, he assumed its comming from 'above'. Even when he came to inspect our flat and checked our combi boiler pipes, he said it was wet and damp, but this was contradicted by their more experianced plumber later.

The first thing I would do is look in the apartment beneath yours and then carefully in the corresponding position in your apartment.........

Problems with nuisance leaks in flats are often something to do with waste pipes, mains leaks are often dramatic and quickly found and fixed.

So common places are around shower trays, bath oveflows ~ only when someone fill the bath to the top for a long soak ! and toilet cisterns.

Do you have to top up your heating often ? could be a heating pipe.

just have a good look with a torch behind the bath panel, remove the plinths in the kitchen look under the units, washing machine connections/waste pipes.

Very rare to find its hard to find or difficult to fix......it can be but in my experiance its usually easy............. having said that I once found a leak on the tenth floor that only showed itself on the second floor..........and only when the HOT water was used !!!!! now that was a hard one to find !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back