Water cistern overflow leaking after turning stop cock, a mistery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had to go away for a few days, so turned off the stock cock and opened the bath's cold water tap (to make sure water was off).

On returning my bathroom carpet was soaked with water. I discovered the water was coming out of the toilet water cistern overflow and leaking onto the floor rather than going outside. The tap inside the water cistern does not leak and the ball valve always shuts the tap, so how could water still rise and overflow? I does not make any sense. Just wondering if anyone could help me to understand this mystery?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
In some installations the WC cistern overflow links to the bath waste/overflow so it's possible for the bath waste water to leak through the WC overflow

In some installations the WC cistern overflow links to the bath waste/overflow

The WC cistern is completely independent. As the bath tap was turned on but the mains shut, there would not have been water pressure against the WC cistern tap. If somehow water was siphoned due to air in the pipes, it should not have gone passed the WC cistern tap. So, I'm still puzzled...

Sponsored Links
Well that limits it to the cistern overfilling.

The supply wasn't shut off completely and the cistern oveflowed due to a very slow let-by from the float-valve

Well that limits it to the cistern overfilling.

The supply wasn't shut off completely and the cistern oveflowed due to a very slow let-by from the float-valve

Sorry to resurrect this thread again (last week's), but I'm trying to find out if I need to replace the toilet cistern float-valve or not, so I did a couple of tests on it.

Test 1: I did not use the water cistern for a couple of days and left the mains water supply on. The water level in the water cistern did not rise at all, therefore it did not overflow. The same thing happens when I get up in the morning, the water level is still the same, which makes me think the float valve does not leak with normal water pressure.

Test 2: I turned off the mains stop cock and left the bath's cold water tap turned on to make sure any excess water if any, would go out that way, being the lowest point. The bath tap level is about 4 inches lower than the water cistern float-valve. However, after several hours, the water cistern float-valve lets water through very very slowly which would build up for an overflow. Is this normal? If so, what causes it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back