Water coming out of condensate pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If water is coming out of the condensate pipe, while the boiler has been off for 36 hours, does that indicate a problem?

Sponsored Links
It's a Glow Worm Flexicom 15HX

It's passed just over half a litre in 36 hours.

Is that definitely the heat exchanger to blame? I had £340 quoted for the part vs around £900 for the new boiler.

Sponsored Links
turn off the cold water inlet to the boiler and leave a hot tap open and if that stops it then it is indeed the heat exchanger if not it is an external source

Thanks for the replies.

Haven't quite followed the suggestion but the ianmcd check didn't make sense to me - is that not relevant?

Is the consensus a new HE is needed? I'm trying to avoid spending that money if it's not definitely the right route.

Ian had ( wrongly ) thought that you had a combi.

What you have described would normally be caused by a leaking HE but I would always want to dismantle to see the actual leak before ordering an expensive part.

It also needs an RGI to fit it.

Tony

Ok, thank you.

The HE is a sealed unit, according to the engineer that looked at the system. He also said it was the old version.

Is it something I can "un-seal"? Or is that not possible/would damage the unit?

We cannot advise a DIYer to look at that part of your boiler because its the combustion chamber.

I don't think its a very good design either.

Depending on the location rather than spending £300 plus for a replacement on a fixed price repair I think you would get a better boiler by buying a second hand G-W or Vaillant which are sold on Ebay for less than £100.

The models I have in mind have a stainless steel HE which virtually never leak!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back