Water Hammer - Change valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry guys yet another water hammer query!

Have a Worcester 35CDi2 and when the flame and pump get going i get a tapping noise in the pipes upstairs. Not loud but enough to affect my sleep!!

Ive tried turning down the pump speed, clipping down pipes and adding padding between pipes to stop them banging together.

Next im thinking of changing the TRVs in 2 rooms for bi-directional ones.

At present the current TRVs are fitted to the flow end, however the locksheid valve has an directional arrow pointing to the radiator, if this is the return end shouldnt the arrow be pointing the other way? Could the tapping be caused by the valves? It doesnt sound like its coming from the valves?

Was also thinking of a shock arrestor, but see these as more of a solution for sudden stops in flow like closing taps etc and not CH. Also not many places in the uk seem to sell these things so is it really a solution or just a gimmick?

Finally, i notice that each time i bleed the towel rail (every few days) there is a little air in it (i had to flush and refill the system about a month ago) Could the banging be caused by simply air in the pipes?

Apologies for the long post, anyone who can be a*sed to read it and reply will deserve a medal i know!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back