Water leaks above door and window recess

hck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

due tom the extreme wet weather some bad leaks have appreared above the windows and door recesses. The windows and doors are on the ground floor. The house is a converted victorian mill and has solid walls, no cavity walls. I have checked the mastic seals around the windows and seem ok. The water seems to be coming through above the windows . I have attched some photos to give you an idea.

Is this likey to be a window/ door problem or the way they have been installed ? or likely to be a brickwork issue around the windows ?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

living room windows top.jpg
living room window.jpg
patio door top.jpg

Sponsored Links
This is caused by 2 possible scenarios, 1 water is getting down the back of the gutter a running down the back of the stone and coming out above the frames, are the upper floors having a similar problem? , if not this rules this out. 2 Most mills were built in sandstone which is very porous, in driving rain the stone will reach saturation point then act like a sponge drawing water to any dry surfaces. Buy a can of liquid silicone and brush it onto the stonework above the affected areas, this may take 2 or 3 coats.

Davey is more than likely right , but also check that the windows are recessed from the main outside wall , if they are flush to the e xterior wall then it may be poor sealing outside as its hard to get a good seal ( this is why windows are recessed... )

My suspicion is the brick/stone work is porous and letting the water in though......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back