Water Metering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just had the letter through the door stating the water company will be fitting a water meter to us next week. Knew it was coming just didn't know when.

My question to you is (for those who have had non-metered water and then been fitted with a water meter) - how much difference have you noticed in water bills?

Any views greatly appreciated.

As you will have gathered, I am already considering whether I need to put in some extra water-saving measures once the meter is fitted.

B

Sponsored Links
halved in price
one adult one 21 year old son no garden watering or dishwasher
2 adults 2 kids should be similar unless you have baths or frequent showers

Yeah, there's five of us......!!! Lots of hose, dishwasher, washing machine, baths and showers.

Sponsored Links
Round here they insisted every one was to have a meter and started fitting them. Then they changed their mind and it became optional. A change possibly influenced by the reduced income on the metered supplies compared to the previous un-metered bills to the properties.

most off my bill is the charges we use about 30 cubic metres at £2 =£60 the remaining charges off about £96
does your surface water[including roof] go down the drains or onto your land ??

Thanks bernard,

Am trying to assess how it will impact on us. My current bill is £420 per annum. Wondered how others had got on once they had gone to a meter.

Given that I have heard on r5live today that even stone is the latest if-it-ain't-nailed-down,-nick-it commodity, how long before water butts start getting pinched?

does your surface water[including roof] go down the drains or onto your land ??

Rainwater all goes down the drains. No chance of diverting it as have cast iron pipework.

I was alread intending to fit guttering to the new shed (when I get round to building it) and using a diverter to a butt for watering the garden. That was before I got today's letter.

Have other ideas about water saving but wanted to get an idea of things first.

how many people in your house and how much is charges and how much is water??

Actually, only £230 is for water (the rest is for waste water so doesn't count) Of that £230, it appears £30 is the standing charge leaving £200 per annum for water charges.

3 adults in my house. Large garden, dishwasher, shower, washing machine and (most used) cistern.

you will have waste water standing charges as well

the point about surface water is you get a reduction in your charges by around 15% iff your surface water doesnt go down the drain but you have to ask
what water company are you ??

The above figures are the total minus the standing charge and wastewater charges (£420 in total of which £190 is wastewater charges and standing charge)

That leaves £230 of which £30 is standing water supply charge. Water supply is thus £200 per annum.

Thames Water.

When I lived in Croydon (south London) the annual water charge was determined by the rateable value of the house. The water company wrote asking I would like a water meter, so I phoned them up and asked what it would mean for my bill. I was told that if there were more than five people in the house it would mean an increased bill. As there were six, I decided not to take up their offer.

It may not be the same for you as the break-even point depends on the rateable value and no of inhabitants.

If you assume 160 litres per person per day you will get a reasonable idea of what the costs will be.

Metered water is compulsory for new builds and will eventually be compulsory for all properties - except those not on the water main.

It might be worthwhile checking with the Waste water company what effect a change to metered water will have on their bill.

I now live in East Sussex (only three instead of six) and we are on a meter. Waste water charges are based on approximately 92% of the metered water being returned to the sewers. It sounds a lot - until you think about it.

Sponsored Links
Back