Water Metering

I was told on good authority that everyone, everywhere would be obliged to have water meters by 2018, although in practice it could take a little longer. Until then, I understood that water meters were not mandatory.
I certainly don't want one until I am given no choice. We have frequent showers, use a hosepipe (not for showers), the washing machine and dishwasher seem to be on all the time and don't ask about the toilet. And can you imagine what would happen if a leak occurred? :eek:

Sponsored Links
No choice about the meter. It's a done deal unfortunately. Thames Water do both waste and supply. Can't see why the wastewater would change (??)

AFAIK, rateable value went out with the council tax...!!

BTW, much as the residents of Croydon count themselves as London, they are in Surrey... If it ain't got a London postcode, it ain't London...

;)

Yes, it is true that Rateable Value disappeared when domestic rates were replaced by the Community Charge, but for unmetered water supply purposes, the old Rateable Value was still used. New properties, which did not have a rateable value were assigned the same value as similar, older properties.

Big-all's statement regarding occupants and bedrooms is just one of the yardsticks bandied about; in my case, going onto a meter virtually halved my water/sewerage bills.

Sponsored Links
Thames Water do both waste and supply. Can't see why the wastewater would change
Because the amount of waste water is directly related to the amount of water used, so they will have more accurate information on which to base their charges.

AFAIK, rateable value went out with the council tax...!!
I know! But where the charge had originally been based on rateable value, this was continued. I've just looked at the last bill from when I moved 10 years ago. It says "Rate based charge" and shows a rateable value, which was not connected to the Council Tax Band in any way. The house was 100 years old. I don't know how costs were calculated for houses built after Poll Tax and Council Tax were introduced.

BTW, much as the residents of Croydon count themselves as London, they are in Surrey... If it ain't got a London postcode, it ain't London...
It's the London Borough of Croydon. Before 1974 it was Croydon County Borough Council, in the County of Surrey. Surrey is only retained for postal address purposes. Even then it is unnecessary as the CR Post Code is sufficient.

D - Yep - I know about The London Borough of Croydon. Same as London Borough of Bexley and London Borough of Bromley (both Kent) Still don't count them as proper London but that was why I added the wink smiley at the end of my post.

Thanks for the info on rateable values. Checked my water bill and mine shows the same.

Thanks to all who have replied. I guess it will be a 'suck it and see' once the meter is fitted.

Regards,

B

In Bexley they will be changing to meters but not billing by them for 2 years to allow people time to get used to the change[or shock].

Sounds like The People's Republic of Bexley to me. They declared UDI ages ago...

My bill has roughly doubled even though it says that I am using less water than average for our typical household.

The whole of Hailsham was compulsorily metered some years ago. Most people found a benefit and the Little Old Ladies living in the large Edwardian houses were laughing, some had lead service pipes replaced FOC. Then after the dust settled S.E. water went very quiet about metering more of their area

Years ago I lived in a block of council flats (when we still had the water rates based on the rateable value of the property). Because of the layout of the block, the charge for rainwater drainage was based on the sq ft of the footprint. Instead of being split equally between all flats the water company had the bloody cheek to charge each individual flat occupier for the rainwater drainage. For a one bed flat I was paying more in water rates than a three bed family house. To add insult to injury, I lived in a ground floor flat, so technically I didn't have a bloody roof.

Once people start using less water, the prices will soon go up to cover the loss in revenue. :)

Unless anything has changed recently my understanding is that they can insist on fitting a meter but cannot insist on charging you based on the meter.

But that's only for the current consumer. I think they can with any new consumers who move in.

I've heard that you can ask for a water meter 'on approval' and if you don't like it (too expensive) you can, for a limited time, ask to go back on your previous charge system.

I've heard that you can ask for a water meter 'on approval' and if you don't like it (too expensive) you can, for a limited time, ask to go back on your previous charge system.
yes you need to have asked to have a meter fitted
then before six months are up ask to return to un-metered but the metre will remain
but the next person to own the property will have no choice but to be metered

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back