Water Pressure Gauge - Combination Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Saunier Duval THEMA F 23 E Combination boiler, it's about 8 years old. The water pressure gauge is nearly on the red markings 0.5 bar but when boiler fires the gauge goes to 1.5 bar.

1. Is this normal?

2. Does it need more water added?

3. Does this indicate there is air in the system?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
I have a Saunier Duval THEMA F 23 E Combination boiler, it's about 8 years old. The water pressure gauge is nearly on the red markings 0.5 bar but when boiler fires the gauge goes to 1.5 bar.

1. Is this normal?
Yes, it's quite a steep rise though.
You should top it up to about 1.2 bar.
3. Does this indicate there is air in the system?
No.

mogget";p="1205020 said:

1. Is this normal?
Yes, it's quite a steep rise though.
Is this anything to worry about?

You should top it up to about 1.2 bar.
Even with the steep rise mentioned in point 1? If I top it up it may go to 2.5 bar when used?

Thank you for your help.

Even with the steep rise mentioned in point 1? If I top it up it may go to 2.5 bar when used?

Thank you for your help.

The steep rise can be caused by not enough air in the expansion vessel. However, to diagnose this problem you will need to fill it to 1 - 1.5 bar cold, and see what the pressure is when it's all heated up.

Sponsored Links

Thank you for your help.

The steep rise can be caused by not enough air in the expansion vessel. However, to diagnose this problem you will need to fill it to 1 - 1.5 bar cold, and see what the pressure is when it's all heated up.

Thanks would this cause any weird sounds intermitently from the boiler like a sqealing noise?

If I fill up and it does go to 2.5 bar will this be a problem?

I am only a novice home owner!!!

no dont fill it to 2.5 as when it expands on heating will lift the prv at 3 bar

do what the last 2 have told you and top up to 1.5

it may drop alittle when first put on as it displaces air

if you are hearing a squealing when filling it may just be the mains entering the boiler.which is ok

That's what the prv is for....to protect the system from overpressure!!!

(The only downside to lifting the pressure relief valve is that it may not reseat cleanly afterwards and may dribble forever more.

(The only downside to lifting the pressure relief valve is that it may not reseat cleanly afterwards and may dribble forever more.

so you would advise people to top up pressure to 2.5 bar?????

do what the last 2 have told you and top up to 1.5

it may drop alittle when first put on as it displaces air

if you are hearing a squealing when filling it may just be the mains entering the boiler.which is ok

Hi thank you. Sqealing noise is sometimes present when the boiler is firing up usually at the start, but not always it happens sometimes after it's been running a while. Seems to be present more when the weather is colder.

so you would advise people to top up pressure to 2.5 bar?????

No of course not. My point was that the boiler will protect itself against starting off with the pressure higher than the manufacturer wants, which generally seems to be about 1.5 bar. No need to be paranoid about starting with the pressure too high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back