Water running off side of roof onto house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some very heavy rainfall at the weekend I noticed some damp patches on the hallway wall. Looking at the outside of the house, the corner is saturated.

I thought it must be a problem with the guttering, but I've had a bloke look at them and they seem fine. He reckons the water is running off the side of the roof and down on to the wall because there isn't enough of an overhang - it's not too clear in the picture, but the overhang gets narrower as the roof goes down.

It might have been doing it for a while as I only noticed the damp patches because we've got the wallpaper off at the moment. The guy who looked at it reckoned that when the house has been re-dashed some of the overhang might have been lost.

He didn't have any ideas beyond putting some sealant down as a temporary fix or getting it reroofed.

Is a new roof (which I'd struggle to afford at the moment) my only option or might it be fixable?

The mortar along the side of the roof is cracked and in very poor condition - not sure if that will have anything to do with it, but the rest of the roof seems pretty good (it is the original roof, probably around 60 years old).

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What would be the technical term for the mortar along the gable end of the roof? If I speak to a roofer I'll need to him know what I'm talking about (which would make one of us at least :D)

Cheers

I would say your guy is correct.. There is very little over hang which actualy looks like it has been repaired in the past.

Over all it looks in poor shape and shoddy.

It looks like you have interlocking tiles (might be wrong) increasing the overhang could be tricky.
you could try having the verges stripped down and rebedded get the new undercloak to tip away slightly from the building,

you could try dry verge system if you have enough over hang.

Sponsored Links
I would guess that the rain came over the gutter top as it happens sometimes in very heavy rain (gutter to low), i don't think it has been happening for long as your wall paper would have peeled off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back