Water Tanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have just bought a groundfloor flat which has recently been fitted with a combi boiler for heating and hot water. There is also a cold water tank in a separate closet filled from the mains and (after I inspected the routing of all the pipework) only supplies the bathroom plumbing. The kitchen and boiler are supplied directly from the mains. Could it be that this tank is redundant from the old heating system and was just left? The water pressure is very low for all the bathroom outlets, whereas in the kitchen the pressure is very healthy (i.e you cant force the flow to stop with your thumb, whereas in the bathroom you easilly can)

My question is, are there any reasons why there would be a water tank just to supply the bathroom?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Its quite common to leave the cistern to suply the toilet flush and bathroom cold as it reduces the flow requirements from the mains.

In a small flat thats not usually terribly relevant if the toilet is in the bathroom as thats not going to be flushed while the shower is being used.

It also means that the shower feeds are unbalanced which can present a problem in itself.

You say the pressure is low in the bathroom. Presumably you only mean the cold as the hot will be from the mains pressured combi.

Generally it could be converted to mains feed if no other aspects apply.

Tony

the hwc would probably been below the tank and fed from same tank.Like tony said bathrooms were generally fed from tanks with the kitchen sink being the only "drinkable" water.Converting to mains is the best way to even out pressures at mixer taps etc but remember if the water is ever off out in the street you have no water to flush you w.c

Sponsored Links
It never crossed my mind that the tank would act as a reserve in case of supply failure. I think I will get it converted though as once its out I will have a walk in closet!

Thanks for the info guys.

Water supply failure is very rare except in a few areas of London where they have repeated failures of the old water mains.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back