Water under floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had couple of feet of snow recntly and have just removed the floorboard trap near the living room garden side patio doors. To our horror there is a couple of inches of water (some frozen) slightly concerned and wondering if this has been caused by the snow as there is an air vent built into the bricks near where the water is. Can this be possible and what could the other reasons be?

Sponsored Links
If it's a small area near an airbrick i'd think snow has probablly blown in and melted.

Also afaict if surface conditions become warm enough to melt but things lower down are still frozen then water can become trapped above the ice.

Personally I'd wait until things warm up and see what happens then. Even if there is a real problem (which I doubt) I doubt much can be done about it in this weather.

Clear away any build up of snow around the outside where the air brick is to stop anymore running in as it melts and maybe put some kind of board leaning over it to provide some kind of shelter and prevent anymore blowing in.

Sponsored Links
This might not help Johnjo but i recently lifted my parents floor to re-route there t.v. coax wire and they had about 10 inches of water under there floor,i am a bricklayer and would think that there must be a hole somewhere in the wall or a brick missing but at this debth it would be under ground,anyway i will have to wait until summer is here for things to dry up and investigate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back