Water won't come back on after being turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've switched off both hot and cold water in order to fit new taps to a bath. Unfortunately I need to buy a few more tools to remove the current taps, so abandoned the fitting and turned the water back on.

But now I have no water at all, hot or cold. I can normally increase pressure in the system by opening a small valve, but this does nothing after the water has gone off / on. It's still reading 2 bar which is normal.

I turned the water off by turning this valve all the way:

valve.jpg

It's now turned back again with no hot or cold water.

Picture of the airing cupboard if it provides any clues to someone else!

system.jpg

The house was built in 2009 by Persimmon, all the plumbing etc is new.

Sponsored Links
The valve you are "playing with is an Auto by pass valve fitted to the HEATING!!!!!

it has NO bearing on the flow of hot/cold water from the taps, you need to turn on whatever it was you turned off before your failed DIY attempt
it sure as hell will never freeze - was not the ABV illustrated in your picture!! ;)

The valve in your picture seems to be an automatic bypass? this should have no effect whatsoever on your hot and cold water supplies, did you turn any other valves??

Hi,

There is a valve under the kitchen sink, which I've always led to believe is the mains cold incoming cut off. I turned this off first, which made no difference to the flow of water. This has been turned back on since.

After turning on all the taps, I have some water, but only downstairs, at very low pressures.

Sponsored Links
So it's probably my stupidity and absent mindedness - Went back under the sink and turned the valve the opposite way and hey presto, water returns, albeit spluttering like mad for a few minutes until all the air clears :p

99% sure I turned it off and then on again, the other 1% of me knows I didn't and is slapping me in the face.

Pity about your vagueness about what you are doing.

But you are lucky to have a neat and tidy installation with copper pipes. AND a carpet on the floor!

Looking at another current thread there are some very poor installations being made!

But you are lucky to have a neat and tidy installation with copper pipes. AND a carpet on the floor!

Looking at another current thread there are some very poor installations being made!

I certainly can't complain about the quality of the new build generally. You hear some awful stories about damp, leaks and generally poor quality in new builds. We had one relatively minor problem with a shower leaking, caused by cracked tiling grout a week after moving in.

The house is also very efficient to heat. My combined gas and electric is £74 a month, for a four bedroom house ...

Yes the carpet makes all the difference to the plumbing system Tony. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back