Waterproof part underground wood chip store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am converting an old soft sandstone (1 wall) and brick (3 walls) walled pig pen with concrete floor into a biomass wood chip store and want to make it waterproof. The ground outside surrounding the building is sloping slightly from level with store floor at one side, sloping up to about 1 1/2 feet above the store floor at the stone wall side. There is no damp course. The brick walls have no cavity and are 2 brick width thick and the stone wall is about 18" thick, with what I thick is sand and cement render on the outside. The floor and lower sandstone walls get damp in winter.

I have had all the pointing on the main house replaced with lime and sand render and had an almost daily rant from the tradesmen stating the cement should never be used on sandstone.

The internal walls of the store are in reasonable condition with a few recesses which will need filling. I am considering rendering the walls and then applying a tanking slurry to the floor and part way up the walls, e.g. say 2 feet above outside ground level.

In light of the previous tradesmen comments about cement and sandstone, I am thinking of painting SBR followed by a sand and cement render mix with SBR agent on the internal brick walls before applying a tanking slurry. But dont know what to do on the sandstone internal wall. Should I do the same as the brick walls, use/not use SBR, not use cement, but rather a lime based render (with or without SBR) or something else?

The store is reasonably well ventilated with vents high on the walls to allow the wood chip moisture not to condensate on the walls or ceiling.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back