waterproofing wood..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would like to make some wood i have waterproof, what is the best product to use please, it is a mixture of treated softwood and hardwood (pallet wood)? The wood will be outdoors so exposed to water.
Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Check out the Sadolin range of products......you won't stop the timber from absorbing water, but you'll delay the rot for a good while.
John :)

what is better; tar based paint, varnish, boat/yatch paints or wood protection solutions from the likes of ronseal/sadolin?
Thanks again :)

Pallets are made from non durable woods.

Preservative treat with fungicidal/wood preservatives.

Then seal it with a stain or paint, some stains contain a bit of preservative.

Oils are not sealants or preservatives, only use if you don't want a long life.

Varnish chips and flakes externally = erggg (yacht varnish is still rubbish, boats are given dozens of coats and maintained yearly, people put a few coats on furniture then wonder why it only lasts a few months)

Sponsored Links
Pallets are made from non durable woods.
Not always. We've had pallets from Italy made from solid olive wood before now. In general they are made from whatever is cheapest, though (presumably the olive wood was from somebody grubbing out)

These are the 2" thick by 4" wide pieces of wood I am using.
So do you think that the treated softwood would be more durable than the the pieces of wood i got from the pallets?

Pallets are disposable, they are mostly made from cheap non durable softwoods, and sometimes cheap non durable hardwood.

(olive wood isn't durable either).

Other than just the quirky/trendy/ reasons I have no idea why people try to recycle pallets into furniture, there is a reason the wood made to use pallets was used for pallets.

To comply with regulations pallets have to be treated so likely the timber has already has some treatment, it could also have pesticides etc soaked into it depending on it's previous life.
Have made garden furniture which lasted many years without any sign of rot though all were hardwoods.

how do you find out if the pallet wood you have is hard or soft wood please?

Just by looking at it.

Clean it up, you either know what softwoods and hardwood look and feel like, or you need to work with more of them to learn. There are a few 'soft' hardwoods that can look like softwoods, but not normally ones used in pallets.

To comply with regulations pallets have to be treated

Wrong type of treatment, it is to kill of insects for shipping purposes, not actual preservative that will do anything against fungal decay.

Out of ground contact even non durable woods will last years, it is joints that trap water, or feet sitting on/in wet footings that will cause decay.

Try lifting it with one arm(provided it isn't soaking wet)

Hardwood pallets are much heavier

Try pushing a screwdriver into it

Hardwood pallets are much harder and won't show as much of a dent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back