Weathering slate fitment on soil pipe...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had our loft converted and have just received the request for the final payment. Because the chimney needed looking I had a local roofer come round to look at it. While he was here he noticed that the rubber sleeve on the weathering slate was very loose around the soil pipe coming out of the new loft bathroom whereas he said it should be a tight fit. I can see what he means - it looks as though they've just cut a large ragged hole. should it be a tight fit or is there any other way it can be 'used'?

Sponsored Links
As said it should be so tight as to need a dollop of silicone gel or fairy to help slip it on.

OOER missus! :eek:

I've uploaded a couple of pics of the weathering slate boot and soil pipe. Contractor is saying yes its not right but they can fix by using a CG1 type seal. No idea what this is but does it make sense?
[/img]

Sponsored Links
That needs a new rubber boot, mate - that gap is far too large for a permanent sealant repair.
Surely they didn't intend to leave it like that :eek:
John :)

That needs a new rubber boot, mate - that gap is far too large for a permanent sealant repair.
Surely they didn't intend to leave it like that :eek:
The contractor has just called to say they've now sealed it with 'high-quality CT1 Sealant'. Isn't a sealer designed to seal gaps, etc, not fill large voids? As you say I would prefer them to do it properly and use a new rubber boot but that would require them to disconnect the WC, replace the soil pipe, fit new weather slate (correctly), connect new elbows, etc, etc = big job.

CT1 are indeed excellent products.
However, looking at your second picture I can actually see the roofers laths within :eek: which means thats one hell of a hole.
A large quantity of sealant may span the gap, but personally I'd be waiting for the stuff to sag at some time in the future.
That job isn't good enough, but I do understand your angst at things being taken apart again!

I would not trust mastic in that situation and why should you, they are designed for that purpose without mastic, the fact they were going to leave it like that would worry me!

Last post - I'd just like your opinions on the before and after as I'm being asked whether "I'm happy with the result" (as if I would know!). Would you be? The first image illustrates the size of the gap between the boot and the soil pipe (you can see the wooden lathes), the second, as of yesterday, after being told its been "sealed with high-quality CT1". This pipe is in direct sunlight - will this 'repair' last?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back