Weathershield / Draught excluder for Wood Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello board!

I am doing some DIY maintenance to my wooden double glazed windows.

A lot of them need the rubber sealing replacing as it is going all nasty, black and cracking.

I am trying to source some - i'm going to need about 30m to do all my windows.

It's proving really difficult. The one place i have found that sell anything near what i need is someone called Schlegel and their Aquamac Sealant. however, their profile is not the exact same as the one i need to replace. Their minimum order is in the 100's if meters and £400+.....

There is a rebate in the window frame for part of the sealing strip to fit into.

I've called all my local glaziers who either A) Tried to flog me some uPVC windows or B) Tried to flog me some wooden windows or C) Told me that what i wanted was the brush type stick on stuff and that i should go to B&Q.

It is worrying when i explain that that is not what i need and then they don't understand the word 'rebate'. I am not a big wood person but still....

Does anyone have brand name or know of a good way to track down what i need? Is there a trade name for this stuff, other than 'Weathershield'.

Many thanks for your help. I have all the other tools and equipment so now all i need is the weather strip stuff.

Cheers!

Mr. Tickle.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a draught excluder that goes between the opening part of the window and the frame? Like a draught excluder on a door? Or do you mean a rubber seal that fixes the glass into the window?

Does your old stuff have a "fin" on it?

Does the window push onto it, or brush past it?

Ahh, John. When you ask such direct answers it send a shudder down my spine. If only my local Glazier did that!

Okay, It is the rubber extrusion part that goes into a rebate in my frame (not the moveable window bit). The profile edge of it looks like a 'P' with two little barbs on the down tail or the 'P' that sort of lock it into the rebate. (the fin?)

I've seen stuff like this in B&Q on a roll that you split into two. But it has double sided tape on the back - not what i'm after.

The window butts up to it and it squashes it slightly; forming a seal. Previous owners painted on top of it instead of cutting in..

So the fin doesn't push against the window sash to make the seal?

Is it tubular in section, or foam? (the non-foam ones are better).

I think you are talking about a draught excluder or weatherstrip. It is not called a rubber seal (this suggests the stuff the glass is bedded in).

If you can't find one with a fin to fit, you will probably have to use a stick-on one. The frame must be very clean, and preferably freshly painted, to make it stick well.

See how much it has to compress, as the "E" section ones don't compress as easily as the tube or foam ones.

Brush weatherstripping is also good but you may not be able to find one to fit.

If you search on "Rubber Extrusions" or "Neoprene extrusions" you might find a maker. "EDPM" is another material. As well as the window trade they are used in boatbuilding and car restoration.

Here are some EDPM extrusions used in cars
tts_weatherseal.jpg

Sponsored Links
Glassman said:
Here's a handy site I use quite often.

Excellent site, Glassman, and I see they have some with barbs that might suit
R9885_dia_sml.jpg

Brilliant stuff, many many thanks.

I suppose it is not critical i have the exact same extrusion profile, is it?

The only 'P' shaped profile i can find is rather large - but the 'lollipop' shaped one you have attached looks like it will do the job, i think.

Mr. Tickle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back