Weber Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a house from a national housebuilder which is finished in a coloured weber one coat render. The spec says that this should be finished to 15mm. Upshot is that it is falling off at the corners, and I dont think it is on thick enough. Image below shows render thickness compared to a 5p piece. Diameter of 5p is 17mm, so render should be almost same thickness - render is only about 3mm. Builder says it is impossible to get 15mm at corners due to bead. I say that they have used the wrong bead, but they disagree.

Could anybody on here give me any advice on whether the bead is wrong and render should be thicker right to corner?

Thanks

Scottish Al

View media item 42767 View media item 42768 View media item 42769

Sponsored Links
ive never used the stuff myself but was asking questions about it a few weeks ago, and this cropped up in one of the questions i asked (which was), how do you stop the render from spalling at the beads when you scrape back? because it says on the weber web site care is needed when scraping back by the beads or it will spall which is what has happened in this case, and you wont get 15mm thickness by the beads you will only get as much as the beads allow, also the beads dont look right espec in the middle picture, imperial solutions use this stuff all the time maybe he will comment, but take a look at the way the convo went in the post
//www.diynot.com/forums/plastering-rendering/rendering.308649/

Hi,

I bought a house from a national housebuilder which is finished in a coloured weber one coat render. The spec says that this should be finished to 15mm. Upshot is that it is falling off at the corners, and I dont think it is on thick enough. Image below shows render thickness compared to a 5p piece. Diameter of 5p is 17mm, so render should be almost same thickness - render is only about 3mm. Builder says it is impossible to get 15mm at corners due to bead. I say that they have used the wrong bead, but they disagree.

Could anybody on here give me any advice on whether the bead is wrong and render should be thicker right to corner?

Thanks

Scottish Al

View media item 42767 View media item 42768 View media item 42769

think i know where this is, dunfermline? They look terribly done tbh. There is no need for the angle beads either, thats your problem. A hard aris and scraped back, you wouldnt have this problem

Well done, spot on with Dunfermline!

That is my argument with the builder, that they have used the wrong beads. I had a meeting with them yesterday and said it should be a Y shaped angle bead on the corner and they told me that they had never seen them before. Went into B&Q last night and bought one off the shelf!

It is a terrible finish to be honest and all they want to do is leave the same beads in situ and patch it!

Sponsored Links

That is my argument with the builder, that they have used the wrong beads. I had a meeting with them yesterday and said it should be a Y shaped angle bead on the corner and they told me that they had never seen them before. Went into B&Q last night and bought one off the shelf!

It is a terrible finish to be honest and all they want to do is leave the same beads in situ and patch it!

i pass everymorning on my way to work. Im on the david wilson site along the road from you.

Tbh, the finigh looks really shabby. No time spent on it to get a good finish. If it were me, i wouldnt of bothered with a bead on the angles, looks hideous seeing the bead through the render. I wouldbt be happy with them patching the corner either. Will stick out like a sore thumb, especially next to the white bead!

i pass everymorning on my way to work. Im on the david wilson site along the road from you.

Tbh, the finigh looks really shabby. No time spent on it to get a good finish. If it were me, i wouldnt of bothered with a bead on the angles, looks hideous seeing the bead through the render. I wouldbt be happy with them patching the corner either. Will stick out like a sore thumb, especially next to the white bead!

I would love to pull the whole lot off and start again in white (old fashioned harling as well!!).

Probably talking a whole heap of cash to do that though!

I would love to pull the whole lot off and start again in white (old fashioned harling as well!!).

Probably talking a whole heap of cash to do that though!

Im not a fan of one coat render myself.

Aye, pulling the lot off and doing in white would look a lot neater but as you said, not the cheapest of jobs

I would need it hacked off, mind you that should not be too hard given its falling off!!

Just to add to the photos above, thought I would add this which shows the finish round the windows. In my opinion far too thin. This is happening round most of the windows. View media item 42835

Weber representative coming out to take a look this week, if anybody else has any tips on how to get this mess removed and redone, I would be most grateful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back