Weedkiller before new turf??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just spent the weekend preparing the soil for new turf which will be laid over the next few weeks. I used a cultivator and dug qutie deep and now have a soft top area of soil - ready to be raked and levelled.

The old garden used to get a lot of creeping vine which I'm pretty sure I've removed all of the roots. I don't want any old weeds coming through my new turf.

The question I have is can I treat the soil with a weedkiller to kill everything prior to putting my new turf down? I was looking at one killer but a friend mentioned that it would probably kill my turf once it was laid.

Any advice??

Sponsored Links
There are no weedkillers that can be used on the soil that will not kill the turf once laid.
The only weedkillers that can be used are only on weeds that are growing and are inactivated when in contact with the soil.
Paraquat (weedol) and glyphosate (roundup) work on green growth.
Paraquat becomes inactive on contect with the soil and glyphosate is systemic and travels from the green growth down to the roots but does not act through the soil.

I picked up some roundup and will treat any weeds that are showing. (Especially around the edges).

It'll be a week or two before my turf is laid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back