Weeds & Block Paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a house, and outside it is surrounded by block paving. Sadly this has been neglected for some time and there is quite a lot of grass and weeds starting to show through it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good herbicide or weedkiller to clear this up quickly?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
If I were you I would use roundup, kill the weeds, use a pressure washer clean up the driveway and then re fill the joints with kiln dried sand when completely dry, using a whacker/compaction plate will ensure the joints are tightly filled.

Not only will this clean your driveway up it wil also eradicate your weed problem

you cdont need to use a whacker plate to refill the joints with the sand. it simply needs to be swept in. They should have been compacted properly by whoever laid it and any more compaction could break some blocks.

Sponsored Links
Thermo

Just a question without trying to distort / take over post (only asking out of interest). If weeds / grass have been there for sometime, would they not start to undermine paving? Or should that not be possible if paving is laid correctly (think I've answered my own question now)lol. Unless ingress is from edges - think I've answered that also (if laid correctly?) ;)

Tony

no they wont. the weeds in the main grow in the gaps between the paving with any root systems growing downwards. Block paving is a solid flexible paving mass that would take a lot more than weed roots to undernmine it. Youll never stop weeds coming back as the seeds germinate in the sand in the gaps. Its just a maintenance issue to keep on top of them

Ok Thanks

my thought was Bindweed (is that the name) that travelled through my postage stamp sized garden in London, and through several more, disrupting almost anything in it's path. That is what i was thinking as a weed :oops:

Tony

yep thats a weed (ironically imported by the victorians for its flower). generous sprayings of round up will get iut under control. It wont damage the drive

you could also use path clear and once youve got it back to "new" just use it once a year to keep the weeds out.can you come and do mine as i havent bothered lately.(lazy arse me)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back