Weird central heating/programmer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Our hot water and heating is coming on without problem on the timer settings. But strangely if hitting the heating advance button, although the programmer light comes on the boiler screen does not change and nothing happens. The hot water advance button works fine and if I press for both hot water and heating the heating also comes on.

I have an old Lifestyle LP522 Programmer. I am thinking that this may need replacing, but thought I would check here first before paying £40 for a new one incase it could be something else.

Sponsored Links
I dont know the specifics for that programmer, but I remember in a previous house having a programmer that would only allow heating to come on if the hot water was on. It required a separate "HW OFF" wire run to the three port valve to allow the heating to come on on it's own. If I remember correctly, I believe it was also a lifestyle programmer. Have a quick look at the manual to confirm.

Sorry I forgot to mention that it has been working for 4 years previously so the wiring is setup correctly. I am going to remove it today and check the contacts/base plate.

Sponsored Links
Yes - check the wires in each terminal, and if possible, check continuity in the wires going to the valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back