Westherm TRV Instructions / Comap 6800 TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just registered today, in the hope that someone might be able to help...

I moved into my house approx. 2 years ago, and we have Westherm radiator valves on all radiators. It's just come to light that they should be TRVs, but I can't work out how to set them correctly etc.

They're quite old valves, with two small plastic pins which can be removed, and placed at different positions. The 'arrow' which points to the setting on the turnable top (1 - 5), can also be slid up and down.

Does anyone have or know of anywhere where I can get hold of instructions for these valves, or the Comap 6800 TRV, which seems near identical to the ones I have.

Many thanks!

PS - I've searched the forums and found quite a few people talking about the Westherm valves, but no instructions etc.

Cheers,

Oli

Sponsored Links
Instructions .... The fast version

0 is usually OFF
If you have a * this is a frost setting and the rad valve will open if the temp drops below about 7ºC
1 is fine for a hallway
2 Is about right for a bedroom or dining room
3 Is recommended for a living room
4 Is ok for a bathroom
5 Is max setting and should give you something like 30ºC which would only normally be used when people are ill and a lot of heat is critical. {also preferred by those who like to waste energy, cold-asred women, the ignorant or unenlightened and people who like high gas bills}

If a rad cools off when the system is on it means that your TRV is doing its job and turning the rad off at the required temp.

When removing or re-fitting TRVs turn them to their maximum setting [5]
When fitting a head locate it onto the body of the valve and tighten the knurled nut at the base of the head

The cap provided is for when you are decorating to avoid debris getting into the valve head. By removing the head and fitting the cap you can effectively convert the valve to a conventional radiator valve.

In the summer when the system is not in use turn each valve to 5 . This prevents the operating pin from sticking in the off position when you come to turn the heating on later in the year.

Modern valves are bi-directional and the water can flow either way through them.
Earlier valves are monodirectional. If these are fitted the wrong way round they can be noisy.

Most trvs are not calibrated to a temperature.
Most economical way is to start off with all rooms on about 2 and wear a woollie whilst the house stabilises. Leave it like this for at least 3 hours from getting up. timer should be on constant heating for this exercise. After 3 hours, turn up those rooms that are decidedly too cold up half a point. Check after 1 hour and repeat.
The whole purpose of the exercise is to save gas, not to reach a certain temperature. Bedrooms should be colder than lounge, spare rooms are fine at about 15 when nobody is in them

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help!

Do you know what the removable pins do by any chance?

Yes generally they go straight in the bin.

Their purpose is for hospitals and the like where rooms must be kept above or sometimes not heated above certain temperatures. They give an upper and lower limit to the adjustment and stop unwanted tampering

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back