Wet to Dry verge conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen on here many times that conversion of a wet verge to a dry system is a no-no, however I've had a company do a quote for my roof and this is what they have suggested. I want to double check, as they aren't simply talking about capping the wet verge but converting it instead, the same with the ridge. What they have said is

Ridge
  • Remove existing ridge and hip tiles and sand and cement
  • Fix new centre timber for fixing of ridge fast system
  • Supply and fix new ridge tiles using ridge fast dry ridge system
  • Supply and fix new tiles
Verge

Remove existing sand and cement
Install new Marley Refurbishment Kits
Install Marley dry verge end caps to all gable end tiles

Does this sound ok or is it still a no-no?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
No, they were doing a job nearby so I decided to ask for a quote, I will be getting at least one more quote but wondered whether or not alteration to a dry system was always an absolute no-no
they appear to have been in business since the 90s from what I can make out
thanks

How much was the quote - labour and materials and access & remove debris?
How many verges and ridges do you have?

Sponsored Links
You can convert, I don't know where you read that it is a no no.

But the only advantages of a dry system are with the installer. Cheap, quick and no skill required.

I can't think of any real advantage for the homeowner, unless their criteria aligns with that of the installer.

From the quick fading, commonly missing verge pieces, and brittleness after several years, I can't imagine dry systems lasting as long as a properly done traditionally bedded ridge and verge.

OP,
I'm not sure what you are thanking me for. I would much rather answers to my questions?

Comes in just under 4k, double fronted box house you see on modern estates, main roof ridge with 2 verges plus small porch ridge with one verge, main roof soffits x2 and facias x2 plus downpipes and gutters . No hips or anything
Thanks

Wtf?

Does that include two weeks cruising the med while they do the work?

It was a "bit" more than I expected! To be clear, this is the roof and the porch. Apparently, keeping it wet would cost even more than converting to dry.

Got another guy coming to quote so will see how much, roughly what should it cost? The job I saw took just over a day with 2 guys. Might have to just get the verges and ridge re-pointed , there's nothing wrong with the soffits or facias other than access is very difficult at the back due to a conservatory and there's no bird mesh so we get nests and bees!

roof.jpg

O.P. Why do you think your roof needs these repairs. ?

O.P. Why do you think your roof needs these repairs. ?
Good question, 3 things really, the main thing was that various lumps of mortar have fallen out over time, particularly at the ends of the verges and also from the ridge tiles. At the left side of the property is an area I would like to convert into a lean to shed, which will make future access to the verge on that side more difficult so I was wanting to make sure it was sound before that change.
The other thing is at the back there is a conservatory which makes access to maintain (paint) the facias difficult, I asked a guy to paint them and he suggested changing to plastic instead as without scaffold he couldn't get to it.

Oh and there is no bird mesh so we get birds and bees/wasps in the roof

Looking at the cost I'm thinking it might be better to try another painter and just patch the bits of mortar that have come out!

thanks

At last, daylight and a working camera! as can be seen, the end of the verge and the end of the ridge have lost morter plus there are cracks along. the ridge has had bits of morter slip down onto the tiles over time but it's difficult to see where it's from. the conservatory is an issue with access to the soffit/facia and for adding bird mesh :(
thanks

Attachments

• P1030587.JPG
    P1030587.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 1,331
  • P1030588.JPG
    P1030588.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 1,201
  • P1030589.JPG
    P1030589.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,204
  • P1030590.JPG
    P1030590.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,301
  • P1030591.JPG
    P1030591.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • P1030592.JPG
    P1030592.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • P1030593.JPG
    P1030593.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,204
It looks like the verge has been badly replaced in the past

It also seems like too much of an overhang for a typical dry verge, and might need to be adapted (?). Normally, the plastic continuous verge or sections have to sit up against the wall or a barge board below the tiles. I am not sure if there is a system that allows for that much overhang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back