Wetroom construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of renovating a very large house and converting it into 5 flats and in two of the flats I am hoping to build a wet room style shower area and what I am looking for is a recommendation of a product to fit on the floors to create the waterproof sub floor before the tiles are laid. I have looked at a system called Wedi Board which is like a foam panel with a cement impregnated coating which is cut to size and screwed down with washers and screws and then the joints are taped and filled etc, but what I really want is to have a one piece floor ' tray ' or similar and therefore less chance of a leak. I have had a suggestion that there is a one piece copper layer on the market that is laid and the edges are rolled up the walls and the tiles overlay this but have not been able to find a UK supplier. The shower areas are about 1.5m X 1m being rectangular in shape with a raised step into the room of around 5" to form the water barrier. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
or hot pour bitumen ?

fibreglass ???

Is the floor wood or concrete ?

Sponsored Links
The floor at the minute is 22mm T & G floorboard.

I think the problem with copper is the reaction from the cement will eat it away but takes years, stainless steel plate made up into a tray if you can afford it or as Breezer's pond liner idea or maybe a DPM heavy duty gauge.

I suppose you could use 600mm wide lead flashing and cut it in half then weld it together or hook it together, I've just bought 3m x 600mm from Jewson at £35

The tray & waste pipe would have to be above this as well unless through the wall.

I am definately looking more along the lines of a solid prefabicated tray with a very slight run off towards the centre where the drain outlet will be . I will be laying 18mm marine ply onto the floorboards and a hole will be cut through both skins and the waste trap and plumbing will all be housed between the floor joists to pick up the new pipework I have installed. My main aim is to achieve something that will never leak and that also looks good but I realise that I may have a problem tiling over a thin gauge steel tray because of movement unless the tray is of such a quality / look that it won't need any other covering. I have a fabricator I have used for stainless splashbacks before so I will run that option past him on Monday but thanks for your ideas and if you have any to add feel free.

The stainless tray sounds like the perfect solution to the 'never leak' requirement, but I see two problems - it will have to be made up to fit the room in one piece probably welded together from two sheets ( 8' x 4' usual size ) it will be really heavy and awkward to handle you might not even get it through the door. Second is that it will be incredibly slippy when wet- you will need to use a timber or rubber kind of decking over it which is painful on the bare feet!

Good points FF and welcome in but it doesn't matter on the size or weight that much because I am renovating the entire property and the bathrooms are going to be created from scratch with two bathrooms being created side by side in the centre of the house with one accessable from the rear flat and the other from the front flat which means I can fit the trays in first then build my stud walls around them if I have to but 1.5m X 1m is not all that big really so it doesn't worry me just yet. With regards to the slippiness of the stainless, will it be any more slippy than a tiled floor ?

DAZB said:
With regards to the slippiness of the stainless, will it be any more slippy than a tiled floor ?
I thought the tray is going underneath your tiles or have I read it wrong ?

For info - you can get 1mm thickness stainless steel which is not heavy and also it can be it threaded imprint for non-slip.

Masona........In my first post I was looking at an option of either making up a base from a membrane type system or the other choice was to fit a one piece tray type set up so i can then leave it as is if it is pleasing on the eye or have the option of tiling it if it warranted it so if I fit the stainless tray I won't need the tiles and vice versa. It is still early days on the timescale of the job yet but I was just planning early before I had the plumbing done. I will more than likely be going with the stainless tray method as it seems the most leakproof option.

DAZB said:
I am in the process of renovating a very large house and converting it into 5 flats and in two of the flats I am hoping to build a wet room style shower area and what I am looking for is a recommendation of a product to fit on the floors to create the waterproof sub floor before the tiles are laid. I have looked at a system called Wedi Board which is like a foam panel with a cement impregnated coating which is cut to size and screwed down with washers and screws and then the joints are taped and filled etc, but what I really want is to have a one piece floor ' tray ' or similar and therefore less chance of a leak. I have had a suggestion that there is a one piece copper layer on the market that is laid and the edges are rolled up the walls and the tiles overlay this but have not been able to find a UK supplier. The shower areas are about 1.5m X 1m being rectangular in shape with a raised step into the room of around 5" to form the water barrier. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Hiya,

The way I would go about it is to make the fall in the floor out of marine ply, sink a trap where you want the water to run to an outlet and then use a product call WP1 (water protection 1) made by BAL (Building Adhesives LTD) www.nxadh.co.uk to seal not only the floor to the trap and the floor generally but you can run this up all of the walls to a certain hight (next to shower heads etc).

This is tried and tested and works. It is also a cery inexpensive way of going about making a wet room. :)

Hope this helps.

Regards
Dan

Dan,

I cannot open the website link, is it correct or it is me ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back