WF100 CAI certified cable for Virgin Media replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just order some of the following Webro CAI approved coax cable.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LGWNCWE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Can I use this to rerun and resite my Virgin Media white sockets all the way from the omni box outside on my wall? I read somewhere that they use RG59 or RG6 cable or something like that.

If I can use the cable that I bought, what do I need to buy from Amazon to replace the phone cable?

Also can I use the WF100 cable to run from a satellite dish to a Triax distribution amp?

Sponsored Links
VM certainly don't use RG59 or RG6 (UK variant). WF100 is good enough BUT the VM system is rented and owned by VM. You are not permitted to rewire it yourself. If you do rewire it, you might have problems with signal loss in the extra cable. (A VM technician will normally adjust the signal levels when setting up the system.)
See //www.diynot.com/diy/bookmarks/5704/view-item

BTW if you didn't need the full 100 metres it might have been cheaper here:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/WF100_cable.htm

Also various types of telephone cable: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page22.htm

Last edited:
VM do use RG6 but not the grotty stuff labelled as such in the sheds. They use quad shield RG6 which has copper tape and braids and a copper centre conductor. For internal wiring they use white RG 59.

Well, I learn something new every day! But that "RG6xx" is way better than the UK variant, which nowadays has a steel core.

RG59 is rather crappy stuff with 0.8mm copper centre core and aluminium screen. In fact, if you replace the RG59 with WF100, you can probably add around 30% to the length and keep the signal loss the same.

Also can I use the WF100 cable to run from a satellite dish to a Triax distribution amp?
Why would you want to do that? Do you mean "to a Triax multiswitch"?

The LNB signal has to go to a satellite TV receiver.

Sponsored Links
RG59 is rather crappy stuff with 0.8mm copper centre core and aluminium screen. In fact, if you replace the RG59 with WF100, you can probably add around 30% to the length and keep the signal loss the same.

Indeed but VM only use it from the wall point to the STB, and remember that is only up to around 750MHz not sat IF.

ok, so just to clarify: I am running some cables from a comms room to a couple of bedrooms before the plasterboard goes up and thinking of the best way to do this.

1. What cables would you put in to the rooms to future proof it.

2. Cat 6 cables (plenty of those, maybe 4 in each room), which covers Smart TV, phone, computer and one spare maybe for HD on Sat box?
(Is it true that Cat 6 can be converted for Sky box to bring in HD?)

What do I use if:
a) I want to install or move a Sky HD box in each room (do I need shotgun cable or can I use the cable in my first post above which clearly mentioned satellite as well as TV)? Assume that whatever cable I need goes to the comms room and the the source will be from the dish to the comms room

b) What other setup options are there for Sky in each room, does each room need to be fed by the dish/LNB directly or can it go via a comms room into a Triax box?

3. As I am not sure between choosing Sky or Virgin Media, can the same black cable mentioned in the first link be use for VM as well as Sky?
4. How many cables for Satellite should I be running to each room?

Thanks.

3. NO. If you decide to get VM they will run the it cables. See post 2.

They will yes, at a cost of £100 for call out plus £50 to move the point.

It was a statement. I guess I could simply connect from the existing internal splitter to extend it however I would rather move the whole thing from the omnibox outside.

[edited]

Last edited:
Which whole thing? and what do you mean by "from the [?] on the box outside"?

(I make typos, occasionally, but I try very hard to check my typing before clicking that button!)

Note, again, that it's against their Terms & Conditions to mess with Virgin equipment.

If you let VM do the installation it will be all surface mounted and a right mess......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back