What are CV Boot/gattors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Hyundai Santa Fe passed MOT but got an advisory

"both front outer CV gattors perrished"

they've not split just perrished. What are they and how serious is it?

The garage quoted about 30 quid for a pair of new ones, but the labour comes to about 100 quid (2 hours). Seems a bit much, as I only do about 6000 miles a year how long can I leave them.

Sponsored Links
"Gaiters" are a flexible rubber protective cover over the working part that takes the drive from the gearbox to the wheels. The joint spins and is made so that it is "hinged" to allow the wheel to move up and down while the joint is spinning. They keep water and grit out of the joints. If they split, the joints will wear out much faster and the whole joint will have to be replaced at much greater cost.

I can't think of a polite word for a person who would refuse to have the gaiters fixed once he knew they were on the way out. You can't avoid having them done, but by delaying, you can put the cost up.

Last edited:
Ouch!

The garage thought it won't make it to the next MOT (next June) but that I should get it done before Christmas, which sounds like its not that urgent.

Depends if they split or not. It's not them who'll have to pay the bigger bill if necessary.

Sponsored Links
They could last a day, they could last a year - no one knows. The first sign of problems is grease being splattered under the wheel arch as a rule.
Probably not urgent but if they fail in bad winter weather, the CV joint is in danger of failure.
John :)

Seriously I'd get it done ASAP. If you leave it, they will split, then as John says dirt will get inside and once that happens it's a matter of time before the joints go. You have to have it done, so better sooner than later.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Fair point. Sounds like I'm best playing it safe.

By the way, the garage quote mentions a separate charge for something called "Geometry check inc. front toe adjustment", is that some sort of check they do after the fitting the new parts?

it's a high-tech version of the old tracking adjustment. They probably have some laser-guided computerised device now to adjust it in 16 directions. It always seems to cost more these days...

If adjustment is badly out, your tyres will wear faster.

At 6,000 miles a year your tyres will probably die of perishing old age before wearing out. I have an idea they last around ten years.

A perished boot could last a day or a year so the sensible thing would be to replace them asap.
If you wanted to risk it for a while, you would need to look at the boots every time you used the car for grease leakage which is the sign they have finally gone.
litl

Thank you for all the great (and fast!) advice. I'm off to change my garters (y)

Someone posted the same question about an advisory for worn brake pads and how long he could leave it. I think the brakes are more serious.

The brakes are less serious because when the pad/linings wear out there is a light on or a grinding noise to alert the driver.

A split gaiter makes no noise and there is nothing to alert you to its failure.

Until the joint wears out and starts clicking but then you are into another £150 repair bill per side!

Can Burner John comment on the replacement gaiters which come in two parts and don't need dismantling to fit???

The split type gaiters are indeed the work of the devil, Tony......the theory is fine but it's impossible to get the gaiters clean enough for any adhesive to set - they always open up again and they are more bother than they are worth. Stretch type gaiters are fine when the fitting cone is used to stretch them over the CV joint as they don't have a failure rate different to the original boots.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back